OT: iPhone 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: iPhone 4

Got my new iPhone today. This thing is incredible. PDFs look great. It's great for looking at manuals and datasheets with the high screen res. You can't even see the pixels with the naked eye.

Apple always comes up with an idea thats years later then they act like like its new.

they think they invented the mouse. e mail, web browser, the phone, video mail,,,, all that was done long ago.

microsoft made the I pad in 2002. Apple makes me sick and thier junk wont even play my kids video games.

no way will I buy Iapple crap.

Comment

microsoft made the I pad in 2002.
      How well did it sell? Was 2002 before the MessagePad?

Not saying that I need an iPhone, to me it doesn't make sense.

Nick (on his iPad)

Comment

I'm also up for an iPhone equipment renewal, but I'll looking pretty hard at the Droid-X.

My iPhone 3GS was a step backward from the 3G: it added a compass, that no one uses, overclocked the same ARM processor from 400 Mhz to 600 Mhz, and reduced the of the battery by 25%. So the 3GS battery life is far worse than the 3G: I can't get more than 6 hours of run-time.

I’ve been running iPhone 4.0 for a week now, and I’m not impressed. They *finally* added wallpaper, and the icons fly-out when you first open the home screen, and the compass heading shows on the top task bar, but other than that, it basically the same a 3.0

The “multitasking” is completely bogus: it’s a app launcher that can launch the previously touched apps, but I haven’t found any apps so far that can run in the background: Pandora can’t, none of the IM programs can…

The primary feature of the iPhone 4G is the high resolution screen: 960x640. But the human eye is apparently not capable of seeing 326 DPI, so Apple cleverly branded it the “Retina Display” (meaning, you can’t see the extra resolution ).

iPhone 4’s ‘Retina’ Display Claims Are False Marketing

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/iphone-4-retina/
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by oldbikerdude37
          Apple always comes up with an idea thats years later then they act like like its new.

they think they invented the mouse. e mail, web browser, the phone, video mail,,,, all that was done long ago.

microsoft made the I pad in 2002. Apple makes me sick and thier junk wont even play my kids video games.

no way will I buy Iapple crap.
          No, they just make things pretty and usable.

Lazlo, that arrow in the bar seems to just be an indicator showing gps is active.

So far I like it. Considerable speedup from the 3.

I have pandora running in the background right now.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
            I have pandora running in the background right now.
            Is there anything you need to do to make it run in the background? When I run Pandora on my 3GS with iPhone 4.0, it stops playing when I run another app?

I can't get Beejive (IM app) to run in the background either -- it automatically disconnects you when you close the app.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Did you update the apps. The new version has the APIs in it it needs to multitask. Other than that the thing should work. Unless something in the plist file got the multitask turned off.

Not sure about beejive. I dont use IM.

Heres another article about the display res issue.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...ne-resolution/

Comment

That discover magazine was a nice writeup.

As far as MS tablet vs Apple... It tried the MS tablet and hated it. Poor display, even worse battery life and not everything worked with it's interface either. On top of that they were fragile and tended to break.

As far as "invention VS copy"... They all copy. MS is becoming more mac/unix like with every iteration. Heck, the microsoft TCP stack and utilities (networking software) had Berkeley Unix copyright strings in it at one point. I love the fact that MS TV ads are touting "new features" that have been available for years in other OSes.

I won't be buying the ipone4 or ipad for a while. There's just not enough there to convince me to marry AT&T for another 2 years. I like my Iphone 3gs just fine.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Have they released os 4.0 for iPad yet. I am on the road and have not launched iTunes yet.
                  People may say the iPad sucks but I love mine. I have not had my net book on for a week and this thing does everything I need except running solid works which my net book won't do either
                  Dave on the road with a smile and an iPad

Comment

No OS 4 for the iPad yet. I am on mine now and just checked.

Comment

What I want to know is,does anybody still make a cell phone that just sends and recieves calls and nothing else?

Reason I ask is I don't need the butt wiper,salt and pepper shaker,nipple shaver or tatto gun features on the new phones.

All I want is a phone that rings(yes that's what a phone used to do before Lady Gaga skanked up the world)Press one button to send and another to recieve.I don't need a mulch setting or upholstry sewing as a feature.
                      Is it too much to ask?
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                        What I want to know is,does anybody still make a cell phone that just sends and recieves calls and nothing else?

Reason I ask is I don't need the butt wiper,salt and pepper shaker,nipple shaver or tatto gun features on the new phones.

All I want is a phone that rings(yes that's what a phone used to do before Lady Gaga skanked up the world)Press one button to send and another to recieve.I don't need a mulch setting or upholstry sewing as a feature.
                        Is it too much to ask?
                        I have no idea how good their service is, but they offer what you want.

http://www.jitterbug.com/

Comment

Yeah, there are still a bunch of cheap flip phones out there. I dont think you will find one without a camera though. They are just too cheap not to add.

iOS 4 for iPad is supposed to be out this fall. Must be a big revision. I expect a major phone os update as well.

Lazlo is right about the iOS update not being a whole lot. There is multitasking, well, not true multitasking, but good enough for 99.9& of everyone. But it doesnt work on the 3G and wall papers, which do not work on the 3G. Some people edited the plist that controls the preferences to turn it on and there was a pretty major slowdown.

The new Mail app has a couple nice features. Groups conversations like GMail does. Displays the inbox of all of the mail accounts as one. Thats real nice. I used to have 4 different accounts on my phone and switching between them was annoying.

The new phone has a gyroscope as well as the standard accelerometers and compass. Ought to make for some interesting games.

The camera is nice. 5MP plus does HD video, which is a first for a phone. Some other phones claim HD but they all fall short of the minimum 720 lines needed to be HD.

it feels real solid. Real well made. You have to hand it to apple for their engineering.

Face it though, these are more mini-computers than phones now. Works fine for me. Eliminates 90% of the need for a laptop for me.

Comment

Thanks.
                            Dave

Comment

I haven't had a look at one in the flesh yet, but believe the 4G has video phone capabilities. Why they didn't put a second camera in the previous iPhones seemed odd to me. I believe not all countries have networks that will allow that, but it's been available for years here in Australia so in that regard my iPhone (3G) was a bit of a step backward.

Comment

Working...
                              X