Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New tube of glue/grease/etc., squeeze from the end or the middle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tube of glue/grease/etc., squeeze from the end or the middle?

So I opened up a new tube of dielectric grease today and folded the end flap over right away to start squeezing out some grease. It got me to wondering what other people do with new consumables of different types. Do you guys just squeeze a new tube of glue from the middle or do you keep folding the back flap over to keep the tube of glue looking neat and insure all of the glue is used in the end? Do you guys tip paint cans upside down and spray for a few seconds to clean them out before putting them away? Do you put the cap back on? Stuff like that.

Also do any of you use those mechanical glue tube squeezers?
    Andy

...or DO I?

I have a nine-axis laser-guided CNC glue processing and application center with robotic load/unload and a 500 gallon in-process tank. It is backed up by a 70,000 square foot compounding and manufacturing system serviced by two rail sidings and a deepwater dock for tanker delivery of feed stocks.

So no.. I don't deal with tubes of glue.
    Last edited by Liger Zero; 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I hate getting a new one. I sometimes sit in a comatose state trying to decide how to approach the problem. Sometimes when my wife comes out to tell it's time to eat she'll see my dilemma and punch me in the shoulder to snap me out of it. She went to visit here sister one year and I was in a trance for 3 days on a damn tube of Gasket in a Tube.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
        I hate getting a new one. I sometimes sit in a comatose state trying to decide how to approach the problem. Sometimes when my wife comes out to tell it's time to eat she'll see my dilemma and punch me in the shoulder to snap me out of it. She went to visit here sister one year and I was in a trance for 3 days on a damn tube of Gasket in a Tube.
        I have days like that, so I usually just cut both ends open. That way I do not have to make a decision.

Really gets interesting when I forget and do that to a aerosol can.
        Last edited by Dr Stan; 06-25-2010, 12:01 AM.

Comment

i usually squeeze the center of the tube until it is about half used then i roll up the end and i do turn paint cans upside down to clear the nozzle it may not please some people but your question deserves an answer have a nice day jack and yes i put the cap back on to id the color if i have not destroyed it when removing it as i sometimes do lol
          Last edited by jack3140; 06-24-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Mechanical glue tube squeezers? They make those? You're kidding right?

Or are are we talking about mechanical glue guns (like caulk guns) for large tubes of speciality adhesives, etc?

I just squeeze from the middle until the back end of the tube blows out and leaves a nice ol' wad of grease/gasket maker/glue on my boot. Then I think, damn... should've squeezed from the bottom. But I always squeeze from the middle.

Comment

Good question:

Can't you guys be serious? 9 axis LASER guided CNC for tube squeezing?
              Really?

In addition to this dilemma, add the following:
              When you get a new roll of shim stock, do you mount it on the dispenser with the loose flap hanging in front of, or behind the roll?

Thanks vpt, I'm sure we've all been there.

IMO, don't squeeze the $%^&*#(ing tube in the middle, or get out.
              Off to therapy.
              Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Of course I'm kidding.

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                Good question:

Can't you guys be serious? 9 axis LASER guided CNC for tube squeezing?

Really?
                No no no. The 70,000 sq ft compounding plant provides glue in bulk. the 9-axis laser-guided CNC with robotic load/unload is just the dispenser. Completely eliminated the need for "tubes."

This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
                  I have a nine-axis laser-guided CNC glue processing and application center with robotic load/unload and a 500 gallon in-process tank. It is backed up by a 70,000 square foot compounding and manufacturing system serviced by two rail sidings and a deepwater dock for tanker delivery of feed stocks.

So no.. I don't deal with tubes of glue.

Must you always be a wise a$$????.....

Comment

It depends on if it is a metal or plastic tube. The plastic tubes don't roll/fold up so well

Always turn the rattle can upside down and spray.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by ADGO_Racing
                      Must you always be a wise a$$????.....
                      You think it's easy to pull this kind of nonsense out of the aether?

Comment

The normal aluminum RVT type tubes like this:

Right from the get go I alway keep folding the flap over on itself.

I never put the cap back on a paint can, I can see the color on the nozzle and the caps just slow me down.

This is kind of like the mechanical squeezers I was talking about:

Andy

Comment

These tube squeezers are usually available at artist supply houses such as Dick Blick.

Full disclosure, I'm married to an artist.

Comment

I don’t turn the rattle cans over. Instead I pull the nozzle and give it, and the valve at the can, a little shot of parts cleaner. Saves paint and I start with a clean nozzle every time.
                            Mike
                            Last edited by mf205i; 06-25-2010, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Well I'll be... I guess that makes sense for oil paints. Those can get extremely pricey, from what I've seen. But it seems a little ridiculous for a 3 dollar tube of gasket maker or grease. <shrug> If I can't the very last 0.05 cents out of the tube using my fingers, I'm ok with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X