This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side topics from - plugging the Gulf oil leak

plugging the Gulf oil leak thread is now HUGE & very interesting, but now getting difficult to follow with all the OT stuff (yes I'm as guilty as anyone).

SO I've opened this thread in the hope it will be used for all the 'other stuff' - cars ramming trees, ass kicking, history of slavery & world wars .....

Enjoy yourselves,
    john
    Last edited by jugs; 06-26-2010, 05:09 AM.
    John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Ok I'd better start this thread off,

Quote:
    Evan, what's your contingency plan when you hit the tree /other object and your airbag doesn't work? Squirt blood all over and die? Or maybe you plan on driving safely?

I willingly assume that risk. If I hit a tree that is my problem. Squirt blood and die may be the outcome. Too bad, so sad. I willingly accept that risk.

However, if my driving carries the possibility of doing harm to others that are not also driving and therefore did not willingly accept the risk that driving carries then I would require a plan to mitigate that risk to others. I do in fact have such a plan. I cannot drive safely for more than about 30 minutes because I may fall asleep at the wheel after that. My plan, which has been in effect for several years is to never drive for more than 30 minutes without a long break of an hour or more.
    Evan your plan is much like BPs, it contains no margine of safety

john
    John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

History of wars

Quote:
      Originally Posted by jugs
      Yes we did ask for help in 1939 & America said NO & only entered the war 2yrs later, after Pearl Harbour in 1941.

History tells us that America was also 3yrs late for WW1.

Funny, the Americans, and the Germans, have a different recollection of World War I and II
      Hollywood has distorted the facts

Lets look at a time line.

WW1
      1914 - July/aug. war starts in Europe.
      1917 - 6th April USA declared war.
      1918 - 11th November the armistice.

WW2
      1939 - 1 September, Hitler invades Poland. Britain and France declare war on Germany two days later. the USA proclaimed neutrality,
      1941 - 7 December, Japan attacks Pearl Harbour, and the US enters the war.
      1945 - War ends (diferent dates in different places)

john
      John

Comment

Evan your plan is much like BPs, it contains no margine of safety
        Actually it is very much different. Mine plan works, theirs doesn't. Also I only drive to town which is a 15 minute drive each way with plenty of long breaks between for tool shopping. I bet Dr. Howard doesn't do any tool shopping for himself. He probably isn't taking enough breaks either. Just one yacht cruise in three months? No wonder he has been asleep at the wheel.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          Actually it is very much different. Mine plan works, theirs doesn't. Also I only drive to town which is a 15 minute drive each way with plenty of long breaks between for tool shopping. I bet Dr. Howard doesn't do any tool shopping for himself. He probably isn't taking enough breaks either. Just one yacht cruise in three months? No wonder he has been asleep at the wheel.
          So you have got a 15min margin of error, that was'nt clear in last post.
          keep safe.
          john
          John

Comment

But , you see Evan has a plan for prevention. He knows the hazard and instead of assuming the risk of running a school bus off the road because he is fatigued he prevents the situation.
            I suspect that if Evan ran a drilling operation he would have zero tolerance for an attitude "so what? We've got the BOP and if it doesn't work we have 400 boats contracted to skim it up."
            While all accidents may not be preventable one must enter in to prevention with the attitude that they are. Only with the attitude that accidents CAN be prevented will we be successful.

Comment

Only drill on land. If you can't supply enough tough cookies. Gas for a car isn't important enough to risk whole oceans.
              Andy

Comment

Is it the egg white or the yolk that causes baked goods to rise?

Comment

CO2

Peter
                  I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

I ....I don't know about that......
                    I cannot drive safely for more than about 30 minutes because I may fall asleep at the wheel after that. My plan, which has been in effect for several years is to never drive for more than 30 minutes without a long break of an hour or more.

Jugs is right when he says you have no margine of safety.
                    If you had made your maximum driving time less....oh say, maybe 25 minutes, then you would have a margine of safety. Being different is not always a favorable characteristic, but in your respect it works well.
                    Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-26-2010, 03:43 PM.
                    John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Gheeze Jugs.. now you've gone and done it. We had the argumentative types corralled into one thread, and now they've spilled out.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                        Gheeze Jugs.. now you've gone and done it. We had the argumentative types corralled into one thread, and now they've spilled out.

LOL! ........
                        John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Jugs is right when he says you have no margine of safety.
                          If you had made your maximum driving time less....oh say, maybe 25 minutes, then you would have a margine of safety. Being different is not always a favorable characteristic, but in your respect it works well.
                          What you don't know and I didn't explain is that there is no place to go around here that is 30 minutes of driving time. Town is 15 minutes and the next town is over an hour. Also, as long as I make sure I have recently napped, which I always do, I am good for an hour or so. I also make sure not to take the medication that is responsible for the sleep attacks before I must drive. It isn't like a egg timer where I fall asleep at exactly 30:00 minutes. If it was it would be easier to deal with. Regardless, it still bears no relationship to having a disaster plan that works. Everybody that drives accepts the risk they pose to themselves and the risk that others pose to them.

The vast majority of people that live on the Gulf Coast have no say in the matter of deep well drilling. I am sure that many right now want an effective disaster plan for the future.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

What you don't know and I didn't explain is that there is no place to go around here that is 30 minutes of driving time. Town is 15 minutes and the next town is over an hour. Also, as long as I make sure I have recently napped, which I always do, I am good for an hour or so. I also make sure not to take the medication that is responsible for the sleep attacks before I must drive. It isn't like a egg timer where I fall asleep at exactly 30:00 minutes. If it was it would be easier to deal with. Regardless, it still bears no relationship to having a disaster plan that works. Everybody that drives accepts the risk they pose to themselves and the risk that others pose to them.

I'm sorry for your problem but you have no margin of safety when going to the next town but a fair margin of safety if going to your own town. In that case you should Stay Local, the risk you pose to yourself ( but more importantly to others ) is to great.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my dad, not screaming in agony like his passengers.

john
                            John

Comment

One of my cars has a negative margin of safety.

I haven't investigated properly yet, but when I try to put my driver's side seatbelt on and the car is moving, I have to brake to free it up. If I'm accelerating away, then it feels fully locked up.

I guess some idiot's fitted a lefthand side mech on the right (driver's in UK).

Ha ! Just thought it might be a Yankee mechanic ! No- don't take that seriously - they drive on the wrong side in Europe too.

The result is I only get protected from collisions in the rear.

Is that off topic enough for you, Jugs ?
                              Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Working...
                              X