• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liger Zero
    replied
    Originally posted by saltmine
    Solar powered flashlight.
    I have one. Leave it on the window-sill and it charges up and it's ready to go when I need it (often).

Also have one of those hand-cranked flashlights.

...and one of those shake-it-to-charge-it flashlights.

All get used daily, depends where I am in the shop.

Leave a comment:

• saltmine
    replied
    My electric dog polisher (and I don't even own a dog)

A fur lined toilet.

Politicians....expensive, seldom of any use, unless you need one, and then they either don't work or they work exactly backward of what you wanted them to do.

Solar powered flashlight.

I have a 53lb Chinese anvil, but haven't used it because the instructions recommend you sharpen it before use.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    This thread is depressing. Apart from Tiffe, you guys keep mentioning tools that I have, but were forgotten.. Damn... but one day I'll use them, even my compound sine magnetic vice!

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    I'm only going to play one round of this game just in case the wife ever checks!

For me it would have to be digital tachometer. What the hell difference does it make what speed a machine is running at if you don't really know what it should be running at? I did press it into service on my 2x72 belt grinder build to find my true sfpm.

I did buy a Mitutoyo analogue height gage in a nice wooked case off of ebay. I still live in the hope of using it for something someday so it won't turn up again in a thread like this.

The tool I get the most use out of is the cheap chinese digital calipers modified as per John Stevensons suggestion for marking off. Extremely handy for me in layout work. (This is where John cut down one of the jaws about 1/8th inches shorter then the other and put a sharp chisel point to use it for marking up. It is more easily slid along the side of your stock and the sharp edge does the scoring thru the prussian blue or magic marker.)
    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 06-27-2010, 07:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BWS
    replied
    Not nearly as entertaining as above but our hydraulic press fits the op here.Gets used a few times a month.BW

Leave a comment:

• Peter N
    replied
    Originally posted by oldtiffie
    Thread heading: a must have tool you seldom use?

Answer: Penis?
    You must have an odd one then Tiffie.

As Peter O'Toole said when caught using the wrong rest-room and told it was 'Just for Ladies', he replied "So is this Madam, but occasionally I have to pass a bit of water through it".

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    ???

Thread heading: a must have tool you seldom use?

Answer: Penis?

Leave a comment:

• RobbieKnobbie
    replied
    Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
    Sine bar, Sine vise, Taper attachment, and Radius Turner come to mind.
    Use them once or twice, and then they collect dust.
    That's funny... I made a ball turner a few months ago and I've wound up using it practically every time I go in the shop!

As for seldom used tools, Since I got a traditional tap wrench in a box-o-stuff at an auction earlier this year, I haven't even touched my T handle type tap wrenches. I thought it would be awkward and difficult, but turns out the thing is nicely balanced and a pleasure to use. Best thing since shapeshifting motorcycles!

Leave a comment:

• Walter
    replied
    That would probably be my 7-12 inch interchangeable B&S Mic. I think I've used it twice since I got it (It's older than I am, without a doubt). It's served me well when I needed it and I sure it served it's previous owner well before me. Almost scares me to bring her outta the box, seems so big and moderately heavy =)

Besides that I'd have to say the leather punch in my misc drawer, it's for adding holes to my belt. Sadly it's seen more use!

Leave a comment:

• dp
    replied
    I don't use my tapping head even monthly, but I sure do like having it around for those times I do.

Leave a comment:

• KiddZimaHater
    replied
    Sine bar, Sine vise, Taper attachment, and Radius Turner come to mind.
    Use them once or twice, and then they collect dust.

Leave a comment:

• uncle pete
    replied
    Do politicians count as tools? I think of them as tools. If so, Then I have many useless and expensive tools that are never or barely used and don't work on the rare instance one is needed.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• rklopp
    replied
    How about the other way around? Ever buy a tool wondering whether you'll ever use it, then find you use it a lot? That's how it is with my groove micrometer. I use it a lot when facing features to length in the lathe. Many times the back side of the feature to be measured is too close to the collet or chuck, and I cannot get the anvil of a regular micrometer or jaw of a digital or dial caliper to fit where it needs to go. The groove micrometer saves the day.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    Mine is my 7 through 12 inch Mitutoyo micrometers... Beautiful, each in their own case...

Then there's my 32 inch cast iron straight edge, but...

Leave a comment:

• wooleybooger
    started a topic a must have tool you seldom use?

a must have tool you seldom use?

mine was a depth micrometer from e-bay. fell in love with it . had all the right parts in all the right places. turned out to be a one-night stand. after the initial fondling,i think ive used it once in 3 yrs. a dial caliper with depth rod is faster and accurate enough for me. but she still sits,waiting for my call.
Working...
X