• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Roller rule

Originally posted by Abner
    A "Rolling ruler" supposedly great for making parallel lines. Haven't seen it for years, I secretly hope it went to good will.

Shrink to fit jeans - Between hot water laundry, beer, and ice cream I haven't owned a pair in years.
    A great aid for sketching on say A4 paper on any flat surface. Couple with a good scale rule, radius and circle templates, a good protractor etc. and its as near to a small drawing board as you will get - or need - on the desk or in the shop:

Leave a comment:

• jcon
    replied
    a must have tool youseldom use?

Mine was an Acme Screw Thread Tool Gage, bought when I was going to A.I.T in Chicago, in 1954. I missed a couple of meals to pay fore it. I have used it once in 56 years

jcon

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bmyers
    Mitutoyo 190-101 caliper. I had to have it never used it.
    way to post the pic, now i have to have one too!

Leave a comment:

• Abner
    replied
    A "Rolling ruler" supposedly great for making parallel lines. Haven't seen it for years, I secretly hope it went to good will.

Shrink to fit jeans - Between hot water laundry, beer, and ice cream I haven't owned a pair in years.

Leave a comment:

• Deja Vu
    replied
    Here's another one I acquired in the early 80's. i fired it up a couple times and made aluminum ingots, but had intentions to do more. I did manage to mount it on a spare shop vacuum stand.

Leave a comment:

• Bmyers
    replied
    Mitutoyo 190-101 caliper. I had to have it never used it.

Leave a comment:

• Deja Vu
    replied
    Here's the tool set I just had to have back in 1983. They are "RAMELSON". I did some itaglio back then but, 'seldom used' are the key words shortly after purchase.
    I took great care of them to keep them ready for when I need them...someday.
    Back then they were 4 1/2" total length with 2" tool length.
    http://www.ramelson.net/shop/shopdis...17+Palm+Series

Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-27-2010, 10:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PixMan
    replied
    What a great question. I have a lot of answers.

Bought a Brown & Sharpe 18" vernier scale height gauge about a year ago, the surface plate just got taken out of the crate after being in the shop for at least 5 years. I hope to introduce the B&S height gauge to the surface plate soon. The Starrett No.258 Digi-Chek that was a gift will probably get as much use as the B&S, but it's 10" riser block, about 1/2 that.

There are two Snow tapping heads that were bought 3 years ago, never been used. When we need them, they will be indispensable.

The tools I find most infrequently used that actually get used only occasionally but are truly indispensable are the Starrett No.449 blade-type depth mics, mics over 3" (we go up to 12"), a Starrett No.359 bevel protractor, Mitutoyo blade mics to 3", planer gauge, Starrett adjustable parallels (A thru F, 2 of each), and a nice Starret No.753 digital depth gauge.

Leave a comment:

• Deja Vu
    replied
    Originally posted by Your Old Dog
    Well that makes me feel better! I'm about 3/4ths done with mine

I like the idea of the shaker flashlight but no way in hell the guys I know would ever let me live it down if they saw me using it. I couldn't subject myself to the ridicule
    I had to have one of those "crank" type flashlights. So far, the only time i've used the 5 led compact unit brought humorous outbursts from my wife when i grabbed for it during TV commercials and began whirring the battery back up to full illumination power... and then some to build up duration so I could play with it throughout the length of the commercial.
    Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-27-2010, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Herm Williams
    taper attachment on lathe, used one time in ten years. but it is there if I need it.
    re
    Well that makes me feel better! I'm about 3/4ths done with mine

I like the idea of the shaker flashlight but no way in hell the guys I know would ever let me live it down if they saw me using it. I couldn't subject myself to the ridicule

Leave a comment:

• uncle pete
    replied
    Darryl,
    Not to get this thread off topic or to hijack it. When John Chretien was prime minister of Canada any time my dog heard his voice on t.v. He'd run for his bed cause he knew I was going to start yelling at the t.v. Smartest and best dog I ever had.

Back to on topic, A cold chisel, I built one in school about 40 yrs. ago and I really can't think of a time when I've used it.

Pete
    Last edited by uncle pete; 06-27-2010, 03:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    I've jumped straight from uncle petes post to this reply- thanks Pete for a good laugh. Yes, I too think of politicians, etc, as tools, and useless for the most part. That was good-

Ok, the least used tool, but important at the time- the precision protractor. I doubt I've used it more than maybe three times in the last ten years. The most used tool, which I didn't realize would become so at the time I was building it- the 12 inch drum sander. There may be a few days at a time that I don't use it (excluding times when I'm away from home) but I bet it gets turned on at least 1500 times a year on average, and it's more than ten years old now-
    Last edited by darryl; 06-27-2010, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Having the basics covered, my cravings have taken me to new and wonderful places, special tools capable of hitherto unknown minuscule duty cycles; precision bench centres, master height gauge, radius/angle dresser, radius end mill grinding fixture .....when will it stop?

maybe now. the lines have crossed on the graph. its like perpetual motion. I've got enough stuff and the brain is aged to the point where opening drawers is like Christmas, always finding goodies i didn't know i owned. Now the monkey is satisfied by opening a drawer i haven't been into a awhile

Leave a comment:

• Herm Williams
    replied
    taper attachment on lathe, used one time in ten years. but it is there if I need it.
    re

Leave a comment:

• saltmine
    replied
    I had an idea of a "solar powered flashlight" years ago, so, I went out and bought a generic flashlight, and a "hobby" solar cell.

After dumping the batteries out, I soldered the solar cell to the switch and went outside.

Sure enough, when I flipped the switch, the bulb lit up...no batteries, just solar power.

Believe it or not, some investment banker heard of my invention and bought the prototype for $500, provided I signed away the rights to manufacture it.
    And one wonders why Wall street is so screwed up....

I used to have one of those "shaker" flashlights. The idea would work great if you had a bad case of Alzheimer's disease or the DT's. Of course, I didn't shake it enough, the battery went dead, and I left it on the front seat of a brand new prototype Ford diesel pickup out at the Ford Proving Grounds...(which is now the "Chrysler Proving Grounds")
    Last edited by saltmine; 06-27-2010, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X