low budget coolant system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low budget coolant system?

anyone have any pics/descriptions of their homemade coolant/lubrication systems? i will be using my mill/drill so infrequently that i don't see myself going for any sort of commercial setup. in all honesty, i've never seen anyone with one of these personally, so all information and details are good for me to absorb. in fact, i don't think i know anyone with more than an old drill press, and the only sort of lubrication or cooling came from whatever can of penetrating oil was nearby. i am very handy however, and can probably find and cobble together something if i have a little direction on what might work. i mean everything: pumps, reservoir, lines, coolant, etc.

thanks.

If you're going to use it infrequently, I would avoid any kind of soluble oil system, as it quickly grows a skin and gets skunky if it isn't used regularly. You could always just use a spray bottle with whatever lubricant you or your material prefers.
    Stuart de Haro

Comment

My homemade lubrication/cooling sytem on my drill press consists of a open topped reservoir that was removed from an old power hacksaw and a parts washer pump. A few brackets were welded in place to hold it under the table where the coolant could drain back through the existing center hole. The parts washer pump was connected via some gasline, to a magnetic based flexible coolant nozzle. The total cost was less than $50. It works perfectly. Sure makes drilling easier.

I would imagine a pump in a bucket with a flexible return line would work just as well (which incidentally was my first thought).
      Last edited by dexter; 06-29-2010, 07:27 AM.

Comment

I have found that if you cut soluble oil with winsheild washer antifreeze or 50/50 auto anti freeze it will last indefinitely. Mine has been in place for years with no problems what so ever. It also will not freeze in the winter. I do have to add water to the mix occasionally.

Comment

I've been thinking about the same kind of thing for use with my benchtop mill/drill. I think a mister would work better for me than a flood coolant system. I was thinking about making my own but then I came across the Spra-Kool Midget and figured that's cheaper than anything I could make myself unless I just happen to find some component parts laying around.

Comment

Be careful with mist, you need to get the droplet size right, if part of the spay is atomized you get fog, when you breathe it in, the oil content coats your lungs & stays there [ not good ].

there are anti fog units available.

john
            John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

They're not exactly cheap, but you might want to consider a vortex cooling gun and avoid the hassle of coolant all together.

Brian
              Taxachusetts

Comment

The easiest way to rig a coolant system would be a 5 gallon bucket with a small fish-pond pump in it.
                Elevate the pump on a brick so swarf will settle below it.
                Install a small valve to control the outflow, and the return line from the mill table goes back into the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by H8Allegheny
                  They're not exactly cheap, but you might want to consider a vortex cooling gun and avoid the hassle of coolant all together.

Brian
                  Taxachusetts
                  Very effective, but they use a lot of air

john
                  John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
                    The easiest way to rig a coolant system would be a 5 gallon bucket with a small fish-pond pump in it.
                    Elevate the pump on a brick so swarf will settle below it.
                    Install a small valve to control the outflow, and the return line from the mill table goes back into the bucket.
                    That's what I have been using on my mill for about 8 years. The soluble oil coolant has never been changed out, only added to. I have used a couple of different brands, it has never been stinky. I must be lucky, I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

ME

Comment

Originally posted by jugs
                      Be careful with mist, you need to get the droplet size right, if part of the spay is atomized you get fog, when you breathe it in, the oil content coats your lungs & stays there [ not good ].

there are anti fog units available.

john
                      PS here's one > http://www.fogbuster.com/howthefogbusterworks.html
                      John

Comment

I use this at home and a pop bottle with a tiny hole in the lid at work.....can't get much cheaper than that.

Comment

hand atomizer, you know, squeeze the trigger a spray comes out...... pick them up in the garden section. a jug full will last a fairly long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                            hand atomizer, you know, squeeze the trigger a spray comes out...... pick them up in the garden section. a jug full will last a fairly long time.
                            pretty much the equivalent of how i have always done it. was hoping for some elegant little home brewed automatic system so i can use one hand to run the mill/drill, and have the other one free in case i feel the need to scratch myself, or do something equally as useful.

Comment

I don't buy the argument about not using soluable oil for coolants.
                              I have had the same Mobil oil in my (5 gallon pail ) system for 10 years. I just add water and oil when it's low. Never smells , never develops a skin/crud, and does not bother my hands.
                              The secret is so very simple.
                              I put a UV light in the 5 gallon pail whenever I run it.
                              I have let it set in the pail (w/cover) for upto 6 months and no issues.
                              The UV destroys any and all bacteria...just don't have it shine on you.
                              When the pump goes on, so does the light.
                              The return drain has the coolant flow down the side of the pail to ensure total exposure .
                              To collect chips and not mess up the garden pump in the pail, The return line has a knee high stocking installed to act as a chip seperator. I tie-wrap it to the return line in the pail. Put your pump in a small plastic bowl about two inches high. Any fine chips that do get through the stocking will sit on the bottom and not go over the top of the bowl into the suction chamber. My coolant is about 6 inches deep in the pail

If the coolant starts to turn pinkish, from light tan, I know the bulb burned out. So I replace it
                              Turn it on and let it run overnight, and all is tan the next day
                              It is automatic.
                              I have never had to discard any...never
                              You do have to skim the tramp oil that accumulates however
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X