Kudos to Onlinemetals.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos to Onlinemetals.com

Back in February, I ordered a 6" dia. x 12" pc of 6061. I take .0625" slices of of it and make parts for target rifle scopes.

Finish quite pretty important. While machining the OD, I noticed "splotches" where the finish looked a little different than the rest of the surface. I also found that where I machined the fillet where I transition from the "spoke" section to the ID of the rim, I was getting small areas of tear-out. I've never run into this before, so I though perhaps there was something loose in my setup. I reset the preload on the bearings, reset the gibs, etc.. and still had the same problem. I finally determined that there where soft spot globs around the perimeter of the material. I called onlinemetals and explained the problem to them. They didn't hesitate to send out another piece. I'm hoping it will arrive early next week.
    I don't have any connection to onlinemetals.com. I normally used speedymetals, but found the prices better at onlinemetals for aluminum.
    Eric
    Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
    www.scope-werks.com
    www.compufoil.com

if the new piece of round bar doesn't help, maybe try using 3/4 plate The heat treatment is likely to be more consistent.

I know it adds another step, bandsawing a disk but, if the finish is critical, this may be a worthwhile effort.

Comment

I'm curious, how do you go about holding it for sawing, after you've consumed it down to the last 2 or 3 inches?

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
        I'm curious, how do you go about holding it for sawing, after you've consumed it down to the last 2 or 3 inches?
        I hold it in a cheap china machine vise and saw it down to within .5" of going through, then simply hand saw the small remaining portion. I used to have it sawn, (for free), but they charge you for an inch for every cut-off. Doing it myself is much more economical. Plus onetime when I ordered .625 disks, I got .750. That added up to a whole bunch of extra material I had to machine off.
        Eric
        www.scope-werks.com
        www.compufoil.com

Comment

yes, they do tend to cut oversize, which often is nice, but not when you don't want it to be!

Comment

Originally posted by ADGO_Racing
            if the new piece of round bar doesn't help, maybe try using 3/4 plate The heat treatment is likely to be more consistent.

I know it adds another step, bandsawing a disk but, if the finish is critical, this may be a worthwhile effort.
            This is the first time I've ever run across a bad chunk like this. That being said, it looks like it was an end piece as one side had the identification color painted on it, so maybe that had something to do with it.
            I experimented with plate as well but it was too much of a pain to hand cut out, and you end up with loads of scrap material. I have the bandsaw next to my lathe so I can be machining one wheel while a disk is being sliced off.
            Eric
            www.scope-werks.com
            www.compufoil.com

Comment

How are they used?

This is a link that Frank Ford posted in another thread that might be of intrest to you. Their material is very uniform in machining characteristics.
              http://www.sandsmachine.com/alumweb.htm
              The parts really look good but I have got to ask how are they used. The application of rifle scopes and the size of those parts is not apparrent.
              Byron Boucher
              Burnet, TX

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
                one way, if the centre ends up bored, is to tap one end, put a stud through and bolt it to a toolmakers block or whatever...like this

Comment

I have orderd from Speedy Metals before and had good luck. I was needing some brass and they were about 20.00 higher than Online Metals, I called them and asked about price matching. The guy said no problem, 20.00 is a good savings and great service.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                    one way, if the centre ends up bored, is to tap one end, put a stud through and bolt it to a toolmakers block or whatever...like this

ooh, that's clever!

Comment

Working...
                    X