OT, Home Made Rodent Poison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, Home Made Rodent Poison

I want to control rodents in my shop and on my property.
    Mice are local in nature and rats migrate throughout a range
    We have several nut trees so the critters are fed well in the winter
    I was thinking of using a mixture of Maple Syrup, Bacon, Anti-freeze and Lye
    (NaOH).
    I intend to put it in shallow plastic dishes in protected areas.
    There is river nearby and open ground.
    Is there anything I could add to make it more attractive and potent?
    K Lively
    Last edited by polepenhollow; 07-12-2010, 03:55 PM.

That's kill dogs, cats, and birds, too.

Comment

That's kill dogs, cats, and birds, too
      HAHA. Yeah. And small children as well.

Comment

I can get mouse traps at the dollar store 4 for $1 thats hard to beat.

A poisoned mouse will crawl away and die in a bad spot and get to stinking.

Comment

Most reliable ones look like a train station, have chutes the rats go into to feed in the central chamber.. pins spear them from above. Normally 8 to a trap when you retrieve it. Rats don't mind, chute #1 full? they go to #2, or three..

No clue where to purchase them. I saw them last at Frito Lay.. corn chip plant.

Sage our cat died a horrible death, old age, bled out on the carpet. Within a week we had mice poop in our drawers in the kitchen. Rollo candy baited traps caught one after another, till there were no more. It is gooey, sticky, they can't get it off without tripping the trap.. those are mice.

We had RATS in Chattanooga where we lived, some big as footballs with a long hairless tail. I shot them with a pistol inside the house. I was terrified of them.

I am a pitt bulldog fan, I dislike cats.. but.. they have uses around homes and shops.. We have rabbits the size of footballs in the yard.. biggest ones I have ever saw in the south. My pitt is 100lbs and too spoiled to chase them.

I'm feeling pretty fat and sassy myself.
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Last edited by ldn; 07-14-2010, 03:23 AM.
            Lee

Comment

Why would you make rat poisen, thats just stupid. They make verious mouse/rat poisens allready, avilable in every hardware store across the country. across any country. And traps.

And yes, Poisened mice will really stink up a place, especialy if theres lots of them. You really are better off using traps, even if it is a pain to clean them.

(One day I wish to make a trap that creamates the mice afterwards and stores them in a little dust bin, but thats another post)
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                Why would you make rat poisen, thats just stupid. They make verious mouse/rat poisens allready, avilable in every hardware store across the country. across any country. And traps.

And yes, Poisened mice will really stink up a place, especialy if theres lots of them. You really are better off using traps, even if it is a pain to clean them.

(One day I wish to make a trap that creamates the mice afterwards and stores them in a little dust bin, but thats another post)
                Maybe an old welder for a rat trap.

Comment

My dad grew up on a dairy farm. Mice were always around. They mixed Portland cement with corn meal and put it out in dishes next to a dish of water.....Problem solved. No dead cats, no dead kids......nasty way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis
                    That's kill dogs, cats, and birds, too.
                    ...and children.

A case a few years ago resulted in the person responsible for the poisoning of a child with his special bait going to prison.

Be very sure of what you are doing.

Any reason why you are not using rat and mouse traps?

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by laddy
                      My dad grew up on a dairy farm. Mice were always around. They mixed Portland cement with corn meal and put it out in dishes next to a dish of water.....Problem solved. No dead cats, no dead kids......nasty way to go.
                      Iv heard about [email protected]#%ing bricks before but never heard of it being used as execution for rodents.
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                        Iv heard about [email protected]#%ing bricks before but never heard of it being used as execution for rodents.

Eat a few chunks of cheese and about 8 TUMS antiacids and you can poo bricks too. dont ask me how I know this.

Comment

Better and cheaper to buy blocks of rat bait at your local home improvement store. Place them in large laundry detergent jugs with the spout cut out and lay the jugs in areas where the rats congregate. Small animals can't get to the bait but the rats can. Works good as long as you keep them baited. No doubt there are several rats, not just one.
                          I have gone this one better and built small wooden boxes with PVC pipe "entrances" for the prospective "diners". The baits come with a small hole in the center so I put a drywall screw through it into the box so the baits can't be carried off.
                          Commercial bait stations based on the same premise are available and used regularly at a price I am not willing to fork over.

Comment

Rats won't eat that mixture. They are extremely particular about new foods and will try just the slightest taste to see what it is like. No way any rat will take another sip of that.

Use a garbage can half full of water and place a smooth 2 inch pipe across the top. The pipe has one tapped hole on the bottom to which you attach a bolt to hold the bait a few inches below. A couple of inches on either side of that on the top you tap a couple of holes and wind in a pair of bolts to act as obstacles. The bait bolt should slighty outweigh the obstacle bolts so it stays on the down side.

Make a nice convenient ramp to the top of the can.

If you have ever been in a small sailboat and have tried to step around the mast you will know just how easy it is to make it capsize when you do that. Rats don't do sailing and won't know about that.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

For years antifreeze has by US federal law contained a bitterant so that kids won't drink it. Most animals won't drink it as well. Before the law change antifreeze tasted sweet and if your child drank it and survived would likely spend the rest of their life on dialysis. I like the windup traps that are about 12" x 8" x 6" that have a tunnel thru them.when the mouse goes through, it gets flipped into a live catch chamber. Usually the newer mice eat the older mice.

Comment

Working...
                              X