Litchtenburg figures,neat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Litchtenburg figures,neat!

Saw these,pretty neat,just figured out what to get Dad for his B-day.

http://www.capturedlightning.com/fra...teresting.html

How they are made-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Po35...ayer_embedded#!
    I just need one more tool,just one!

That is cool. Thanks for the link.
    And when you buy one, have them send me one as well.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

You want "Happy 85th Birthday" engraved on it or not?

Comment

Are you saying that I'd have to wait a while to open it? By my 85th I would have probably forgotten about it!

Cheers~
        rock
        Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Nine year old thread I'm bumping because it's cool...

-js
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

The stuff is cool, but the web page is a candidate for websitesthatsuck. Text and background color burned my eyeballs.
            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
              Saw these,pretty neat,just figured out what to get Dad for his B-day.
              Hopefully not the same way this woman got hers:

Comment

A similar phenomenon is the fulgurite, which is created when lightning strikes sand and fuses it into a tubular shape.

They were featured in the movie "Sweet Home Alabama", but natural fulgurites are not that cool looking. They can be created artificially, however:

https://curiosity.com/topics/when-li...res-curiosity/
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png

Paul: www.peschoen.com
                P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
                and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                  A similar phenomenon is the fulgurite, which is created when lightning strikes sand and fuses it into a tubular shape.
                  There was a show on TV long time ago about some guys in Colorado I think it was making their own.They were using model rockets that trailed a copper filament as they went up to precipitate a lightening strike and direct it into a couple 5 gallon buckets they had cut the bottoms out of and filled with sand.It worked after a couple tries.They had some method of figuring out when a lightening strike was about to occur,I don't remember how they did it as it was 20 years ago or better.Might have been an old NatGeo episode????

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
                    Hopefully not the same way this woman got hers:
                    Lightening strike?Saw pictures of similar on a biker that caught a leader while parked at a red light.He survived,but not without lasting effects.

Comment

I saw the video where they launched the end of a roll of wire into the air- with the subsequent lightning strike, etc. Pretty cool. Often wondered if it would be possible to launch a vortex donut leaving a trail of ions behind- something which wouldn't require a new roll of wire each time.

The Litchtenburg figures are pretty cool- there's some readin' ahead of me tonight now.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

You can make your own in wood using this.

Comment

Working...
                        X