Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metric Threads with English Lead Screw ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metric Threads with English Lead Screw ??

Just wondering how it's possible to cut metric threads with an english lead screw on the lathe??

JL......................

Using 120/127 gear setup.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Yes, but you'll still need the correct change gear ratios and... you cannot release the half nuts... the thread indicator is useless.

Comment

No......... Actually Acu Rite has a readout system that let you do that. I would like to know how that really works. I can almost visualize jumping a tooth on the threadding dial and nudging the compound rest but there has to be more to it than that.

JL..............

Comment

Huh? You need to explain that. Unless it's connected to the lead screw via a servo motor, it can't help.

It's just a thread - the lathe doesn't care about the standard
          Last edited by lakeside53; 07-22-2010, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
            Yes, but you'll still need the correct change gear ratios and... you cannot release the half nuts... the thread indicator is useless.
            Yes that the way I look at it. I know with my Clausing 5900 there is a metric gear kit which includes I believe the lead screw, and a couple gears that drive the quick change box and I'm not sure if you have to change any gears in the box itself.
            Look at Acu-Rites web site, they have featured a DRO system that claims to do just that. What am I missing.

JL...................

Comment

A dro could calculate positions where the half nuts could be engaged, but you still have to turn the imperial lead screw (via gearing or a servo motor) at the correct speed relative to the spindle for the desired metric pitch.

A link to the dro, then a look at the user manual, would help.

Comment

Link/s please

For the OP (JoeLee):

Is the link here and if so, where is it or which is it?

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...101ec613c3f909

Please post the links as requested by lakeside53 in the previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                  You just need the proper thread dial.

No jest, if anyone is interested I can show pictures.

Dave

Comment

Are you saying you don't need the correct spindle/leadscrew ratio?

Or... you do, and also a new thread dial that works with the DRO? I can see the latter - so post the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                      Using 120/127 gear setup.

ahem....100/127 I believe you mean.

Comment

ahem....100/127 I believe you mean.
                        At least the 127 teeth are important. The rest depends on all the other gears involved.

Re the thread dial:
                        I don't know anyone who uses it with metric threads. It's a bit of a pain, works much better with imperial threads. We all wind back with the nut engaged, that avoids having to think how many teeth the thread dial would need and at what positions to engage.

Nick

Comment

You don't necessarily need a 127, many gear combinations are capable of achieving a metric to inch conversion with an error that is less than the tolerance of the lead-screw pitch.

Phil

Originally posted by MuellerNick
                          At least the 127 teeth are important. The rest depends on all the other gears involved.

Nick

Comment

many gear combinations are capable of achieving a metric to inch conversion with an error that is less than the tolerance of the lead-screw pitch.
                            You are right to some extend. But the 127 tooth gear reduces the required gears to a finite number.
                            Read: You need a lot of gears to aproximate the desired pitch.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by becksmachine
                              You just need the proper thread dial.

No jest, if anyone is interested I can show pictures.

Dave

yes please.
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X