Show off your CAD renderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show off your CAD renderings

This is a 2 to 1 ratio 2 speed planetary transmission. I have posted a crude version of it before but this has all the details. It is equipped with poly vee belt pulleys on the outer circumference of the ring gear and planet carrier.

Software used is SketchUp 7 with rendering in POV-Ray 3.6
    Both programs are freeware.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

I like it Evan. How did you get the hammer marks aound the outside of the housing?
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Those are just over exposed highlights.

Comment

Looks very 1998 with the texture wrapping and "foliage".

Comment

Here's a SolidWorks model I made over a year ago while beginning to learn the software for work. It's based off the plans by Lou Blackmore of the Bentley BR2. Lots of small changes made including fixing geometry so it all fits together and changing it to use all commercial bearings instead of the home made ones. It's not quite done yet, still have to do the simple nut and bolt hardware.

Tom

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!

Comment

Nothing fancy here ...

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/120524813

http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/120524814

Last edited by Smokedaddy; 07-25-2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

I hope this thread continues. I love seeing the stuff that you guys draw up. Unfortunately I can't contribute as I only do 2D cad. 3D cad is on my list of things I'd like to learn how to do. I've just got to find the time and right program.
              Jonathan P.

Comment

Okay--Here's what I did this week---
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This is the frame for a workbench I been working on. I'm about to give up on Via Cad.

I really wish I could get the mechanics of ViaCad down as I got a million ideas in my head I'd like to prove out in drawings. Wish I could of had this software when I was younger and before my diet caught up with memory. Seem to forget these commands as fast as I learn them.
                  Last edited by Your Old Dog; 07-25-2010, 11:33 AM.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Not a "rendering" but here's the job I'm working on now, that has me in on a sunday

Nothing I ever design makes it to the "rendering" stage. Simply not needed for what I do. It does fascinate me what can be done with modern cad and graphics packages.

Comment

Hey Brian, Is that for lifting up a sheep so I can shear it?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

This is great, but I also am still in the 2D CAD world and would appreciate more discussion about the software used and the ease of learning and using it. Also, if it is capable of showing dimensions or at least has the ability to somehow measure distances in the finished, 3D sketch.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Certainly dimensions can be included in 3D rendered mode. They can be either conventional Dimension Lines or you can be a little more creative and include a measuring device. <grin>

The ball has 1 inch squares on it.

Comment

Comment

Some simple stuff with dim(s) ...

Comment

Working...
                              X