X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Warning

you spray the tool and part with brake cleaner and sure as hell dont use any cutting oil
    DO NOT USE fluorinated/chlorinated brake cleaner!!!! One good sniff of the fumes from the slightest trace left on a part being heated or welded can cause permanent lung damage.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by davidh
    has anyone done this on their lathe, at home ?

are there any words of encouragment out there. or discouragment ?
    I wouldn't do it on my lathe !!!!!!! I would rig a set of centers to turn the part on and do it outside. I Have two different spray weld setups, one is I think Roto Tec, and several different powders. The powders are not cheap.

JL.......................

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Originally posted by oldbikerdude37
    Its very cold so warping is not an issue and not magic, its just expensive is all and getting a good bond is the whole trick.

you spray the tool and part with brake cleaner and sure as hell dont use any cutting oil.

Not very cold and warping is a huge issue. The heat builds up as the layers build up.

Leave a comment:

• ADGO_Racing
    replied
    When we were just a job shop we Spray Welded for one particular customer. It wasn't profitable for us, as about 30% of the time we had to do it over, and sometimes over and over, for it to work. You could do EVERYTHING EXACTLY the way it is supposed to be done, and still flake off. We returned the equipment and either stick or tig welded shafts, and sleeved bores (Also welded some of them too). There is a bit of a trick to welding a shaft, but if done properly, it works well, and doesn't warp enough to be a problem. We routinely welded shafts from about 3/4 inch on up. Smaller ones we just made new.

The other problem was the mess it creates. I was never a fan of using a torch on my machines, and spraying that crap around just confirmed my feelings about the practice.

I think even the "successful" spray welders, have a fair number of do overs. You just don't see it, because most times you just drop it off, and pick it up tomorrow or the next day or later...

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    Last week I had a shaft that the seal had worn a groove into.

I thought about trying out the spray welder on it but found out that the price for a new one was over $1500 if I messed it up.

So I tig welded it with stainless rod, turned it down and polished it. Turned out great. I welded the shaft a little at a time, alternating sides so it wouldn't warp. It didn't.

Got the guys machine up and running in no time.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by bborr01
    I have been thinking of starting a thread about spray welding, but it looks like I won't need to.
    Likewise -- I've been wondering if it's feasible to do thermal spray in a home shop with surplus Ebay gear, but based on the comments here, it sounds like a PITA.

So how does buildup with thermal spray compare with just welding it up like John does? I gather it's colder and much less likely to warp, but doesn't build up nearly as much thickness?

Leave a comment:

• gopher
    replied
    Had a rotatec sprayer.Results were very good.To spray a shaft u turned down the worn part to clean the metal.Then u cut threads in the area to be sprayed(nothing special just use a threading tool & cut threads fine about .020 to .030 deep.Light torch heat shaft checking with temp stick 300 degree(use the stick beside where u are going to spray,not on area to be sprayed)when sick starts melting start spraying.Check the shaft every so often with a 550degree temp stick if stick melts u need to stop spraying & let the shaft cool a little.After part cools turn shaft down.Used to spray several times a week,never had any problems

Leave a comment:

• davidh
    replied
    well your comments encouraged me to NOT try this spraying on a expensive shaft.

so i cut off the threaded end of the inner tie rod and screwedit in the endofthe rack so as to make a center for one end so i could hold it between the three jaw and a live center and whittled off .035 +/- a couple and next i will attempt to make a bushing similar to the one i bought but .035 smaller id of course.

the harder way would have been to just cut off the rusty half of the rack, bore and thread a hole in the end and make a new part with a matching bored and threaded hole and just loctite it together using a good stud. the area where the teeth are is still usable.

i may do that yet. . . depends if i can get a bushing made that i can affix inside the bore of the housing. the orig. bushing is made with three little round mountains that snap into holes inthe housing before that rack is pushed thru it. when the rack is in place the spring action is no longer possible so it stays in place.

i will attempt to tap the nylon in the same three spots the holes are in the housing and screw three very short screws into it.

then another thought was to make the bushing out of aluminum. . . .. it would easily accept a little tapped hole and using loctite on the tiny screws, it would surely stay where it belonged.

our friendly toyota dealer wants a tad over $900 for this assembly. i think not. . . .

i better take some pictures.

decisions decisions ! ! !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by macona
    Building up a shaft by spray welding is black magic. Those who can do it well without warping the crud out of parts get good money to do it. If you value the part take it to someone who knows how to do it.
    Its very cold so warping is not an issue and not magic, its just expensive is all and getting a good bond is the whole trick.

you spray the tool and part with brake cleaner and sure as hell dont use any cutting oil.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Building up a shaft by spray welding is black magic. Those who can do it well without warping the crud out of parts get good money to do it. If you value the part take it to someone who knows how to do it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by bborr01
    I have been thinking of starting a thread about spray welding, but it looks like I won't need to.

I recently bought a spray welder and all the powders and cleaners for a price where I didn't feel like I could turn it down.

Still haven't tried it, but this thread has me wanting to put a piece of scrap to the test just to try it out.

Brian

go for it if you are cold it will machine like concrete, if its too hot it will be like foil or hard surface rod. ,, do it right and it will be hard and machine like glass and be so smooth its amazing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Seems to me the flame spray powder was like $180 a pound 15 years ago.

if you have money flying out yer rear end then use flame spray always.
    It is the best stuff for seal surfaces but remember that you spray 3 OZ that 2.99 OZ ends up in the chip pan so bring yer wallet.

a seal surface on a 5/8" shaft and spraying and machining it cost $150, that same job was $300 across town.
    nobody wants to do it unless you throw money at them, and I dont want to suck the fumes of that crap, its evil.

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied

I recently bought a spray welder and all the powders and cleaners for a price where I didn't feel like I could turn it down.

Still haven't tried it, but this thread has me wanting to put a piece of scrap to the test just to try it out.

Brian

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    How 'bout a pic of this shaft? Would it be easier to just make a new one?

Leave a comment:

• DFMiller
    replied
    Where the heck is Sir John theses days? This seems like the perfect post for his knowledge. Last I heard he was going to scrap a POS Bridgy. Has his Karma caught up to him?
    Dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X