Newbie tool gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie tool gloat

Just a couple pics of some of the new toys I have managed to add to the hobby. I have to try to keep the $$$ down so I usually get iron that needs a little TLC.

Kalamazoo horizontal band saw - parts not shown but present include coolant pan and pump. Works, just needs cleaning and assembly. $75

Powermatic 20" drill press - needs 1-1/2 hp, 120vac, 1-ph motor. Found a new, surplus motor for $150. FREE, buddy at work had it for several years and never got around to restoring it.

Coffing 1/2 ton electric chain hoist - found on CL listed as engine hoist. Got hold of Coffing and had them to send me a manual for it. Finally figured out how to switch over to 120vac operation. Works great. Will look good hanging from my gantry crane when I finish with it. $120

Nice score . Does that Powermatic have power down feed?
    I have one at the shop that someone dropped or knocked over that I have to get around to some day, oh and they tried to cut the table in half by line drilling it

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
      Nice score . Does that Powermatic have power down feed?
      Steve
      No power down feed. But still a huge step up from my little B & D tabletop DP.

Comment

nice score, you should buy a lottery ticket. it is nice to see good american iron go to a good home instead of the scrap yard
        Last edited by coldformer; 07-31-2010, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Yes, all good tools, three nice scores, you must be pretty happy

I really would like to get a saw about that size as well.

Comment

I have more , just no pics yet .

Comment

Nice, that bandsaw looks like it will last you forever. And you don't need to worry about the coolant rusting it... :P

But more seriously, bandsaw = best at cutting metal, WAYY better then those abrasive cutoff saws for mild steel. And cuts aluminum like a hot knife through butter.

Keep the abrasive saw somewhere incase you need to cut something hardened (HSS?) but otherwise.. bandsaw all the way!
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
              X