Setting up a compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a compressor?

I received my 60 gallon vertical compressor yesterday.

How should I stabilize it?

1) Should I bolt it down to the concrete floor?

2) Can I leave it on its pallet?

3) Can I chain it to the wall?

4) Other - please specify.

Many people leave the unit on the pallet. This will lessen vibration into the floor and aid in moving of the unit at a latter date if necessary. I removed mine from the pallet and placed it on antivibration pads on the concrete floor, but did not anchor it to the floor. It has been in the same spot for about 14 years now and does not move about when running. I guess it would depend on your specific circumstances tho.

Patrick

Comment

I set mine on a small pad made of rubber as seen in this photo.

It is outside and about 60 feet away from my shop. I can still hear it run but it is not bothersome at that distance. My compressor did not come with a magnetic starter so I added one. It is in the old blue pump control box so it is out of the weather. The rubber pads have ridges running at 90° on opposite sides. It has never moved.
      Byron Boucher
      Burnet, TX

Comment

Same pads I used on mine, Byron and mine has never moved either.

Patrick

Comment

I got one from Menards on sale for $399. A Campbell/Hausefield 5HP, 220VAC. Took it off the pallet and looked at how it leaned. WTF? One leg of the three was welded to the tank out of position. So I bolted it back on to the pallet and shimmed to plumb since it was going in a hangar with sloped floor anyhow. One way it needed big shims, the other ways smaller shims.
          I figured it was too much trouble to reload and drive to return... and always intended to weld an extension to the shorter leg.

It never moved once in position. BTW..it worked great!

sorry I couldn't blame this on HF....
          Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM.
          John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Working...
          X