A Good Quality Oil For Lub and Rust prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good Quality Oil For Lub and Rust prevention

I removed the compound rest and the cross slide from my lathe and noticed where the spray oil I have been using had dried and left hard yellow spots. I used wd 40 and steel wool to get these spots off. I have been using Liquid Wrench Lub Oil part no, 212. It works great to lub and keep away the rust.
    I tried gun oil and it didn't work. It evaporated.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use that's better that what I am using now?
    Thanks,
    Jack

What part of the world are you in, Jack772 ?

My tools are drenched in way oil (actually chainsaw bar oil). No rust, just lots of chips and greasy gunk.

But I suppose if you are in a humid climate, you may have to spray your tools down with some sort of preservative ?

Comment

Starret M1 oil, I buy it by the gallon, it's cheaper then WD40 that way. It has a light oil in it which evaporates and leaves a lanolin film on the steel etc. to prevent rust. Just spray some more onto the old lanolin and it cleans right up. Works very well in doors.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

I am located abt 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean on the east side of Florida.
        The prevailing wind is from the South East.

Comment

I tend to lean toward LPS products. LPS preservative is excellent for long term rust protection, but should not be used as a general lube. They make a gear lube that sticks to open gearing that I also really like. For places like inside the cross slide, the compound, and between the compound and the cross slide I've used their wire & chain lube. From its appearance it looks like it contains moly and it also stays put, instead of being washed away by coolants. Its also quite messy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack772
            I am located abt 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean on the east side of Florida.
            The prevailing wind is from the South East.
            That would explain the need for a rust preventative.

Comment

Check your Yellow Pages for an industrial lubricants jobber. They should have an availability on an anti-rust oil. Amoco used to market Anti-Rust 2-V which was used in spray and dip operations, not for long term storage, and could be cleaned easily. I used to sell it to a mfr of die ejector pins and an equipment rental biz that sprayed it in concrete mixers and lawn mower undersides to facilitate cleaning upon return. It was essentially kerosene with wax added in solution.

Comment

Iv used LPS3 for long term storage (Well.. a couple months) and it came out perfict. Lots of way oil for things that must work. I almost think I should wash my hands in way oil before starting work... then I would'nt leave rust on things I touch...

LPS3 is pertty easy to clean up with kerosene too
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                X