Sinpo DRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinpo DRO

Sinpo DRO from singapore. Anyone have one or know about them? Are they any good?

Do you mean 'Sino'? They work well. At least Mine does.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

If it's the same one that CDCO sells, it works very well. My friend bought a 2-axis version to replace his vintage Bridgeport Display that had a failure on the X scale. The only negative issue is that his has 5 digits to the right of the decimal point. That is both unnecessary and distracting. He simply taped over the digit on the plastic cover of the DRO unit to eliminate it.

I have a Mitutoyo 2-axis but if I purchase another DRO sometime, perhaps for my 13 X 40 lathe, I would certainly get one either from CDCO or from the Hong Kong or Singapore sellers. They sometimes have free shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by dont61760
        Sinpo DRO from singapore. Anyone have one or know about them? Are they any good?
        I don't know anything about Sinpo & up until a short time ago not really much about dro's in general. I searched around the internet & asked questions of people who have shops. The name that kept popping up was Newall.

I had one installed on my Rockwell mill & am very happy with it. Last week I had an occasion to contact Newall's customer service & was impressed to say the least at how they remedied a problem that was not really their fault. If you shop around a little I think you'll find them competitively priced & you'll never be sorry when purchasing quality.

David Brown
        So Cal

Comment

+1 for Newall?

Comment

Lathe vs mill DRO

I have a DRO on my mill but would also like one for my lathe. The DRO Grizzly sells seems to be universal. I see no utility for a "bolt hole circle" or "arc function" for my lathe. Are the lathe DROs typically the same as the mill DROs? Would I be better served by using a lathe specific DRO than a universal type?

Comment

Originally posted by 914Wilhelm
              I have a DRO on my mill but would also like one for my lathe. The DRO Grizzly sells seems to be universal. I see no utility for a "bolt hole circle" or "arc function" for my lathe. Are the lathe DROs typically the same as the mill DROs? Would I be better served by using a lathe specific DRO than a universal type?

I don't know why one would need a bolt hole circle program on a lathe...maybe someone could speak to this. It's possible that the Grizzly unversal DRO does not have the bolt hole circle capability used on a mill.

As to lathe versus mill, the lathe DRO is programmed so that .0005 on the cross slide equals .001 reduction in size of the object being turned. (1:2) A mill DRO will read 1:1.

I have a Mitutoyo KA DRO which was putrchased for a mill. The manual says that it can be reprogrammed to lathe readings but I have no need for that.

We need an expert to comment.

Comment

Aesson DRO's

These might help as regards what is possible:

DRO's:
                https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...tockCode=D7142

Comment

The lathe versions usually have features specific to a lathe like direct reading on the X (x2 movement) and storable tool offsets. Mill DROs have bolt hole calcs and the like.

Comment

I have the 3 axis model of that DRO on my milling machine. Had no issues with it so far. The buttons are all nicely sealed and it came with a nice protective transparent cover.

One feature that I would love to see is a "find center" function. For example, you have a 40mm hole and you want to align the spindle axis with the center of that hole. You move the milling machine right until it touches the hole wall, you enter it to the DRO, then you move left and then down. Once you have entered three coordinates and the diameter of the cutter, it finds and displays the center coordinates...

Comment

Originally posted by taydin
                      I have the 3 axis model of that DRO on my milling machine. Had no issues with it so far. The buttons are all nicely sealed and it came with a nice protective transparent cover.

One feature that I would love to see is a "find center" function. For example, you have a 40mm hole and you want to align the spindle axis with the center of that hole. You move the milling machine right until it touches the hole wall, you enter it to the DRO, then you move left and then down. Once you have entered three coordinates and the diameter of the cutter, it finds and displays the center coordinates...
                      Hi,
                      I have Miester's and Sino's so I cant help you out with the Sinpo, but I have heard there all made in the same factory.

A
                      For centre finding,
                      All my DRO's have a half function button for that. If you switch over from Absolute to Relative while doing it, you wont loose the overall position of the DRO to the table. Some DRO's have tool dia offset, I think one of mine does, but don't use it as it's to much mucking around to set it up for each different tool you put in.

Dave

Comment

Centreing

I agree with Dave.

Using technology for technology's sake is not always the way.

Use an inter-rapid indicator to zero/align the mill spindle and hole axis and either read off directly or absolutely from the DRO with no fooling around and no key-pad work or calculation needed. No chance of arithmetical errors either.

Or use a "Blake" (or a clone) co-axial indicator:

Or a "3-D Taster":

Me? I'd use the Inter-rapid.

Comment

I have 3 Sino DRO's from CDCO . The last one I I asked for a Lathe DRO and it came set for mill. The model is SDS6-2V (last one) it was easy to switch it to lathe and that got it doing radius/diameter. I taped a Z or the Y on the face, now it makes sense, at least to me. The biggest difference was the directions are now written in a langauge closer it English, the first one was brutal. I wish all 3 were SDS6-2V as it is universal, radius/ diameter, bolt hole, etc.
                          In my opinion they are good value

Comment

Originally posted by blackdog
                            I don't know anything about Sinpo & up until a short time ago not really much about dro's in general. I searched around the internet & asked questions of people who have shops. The name that kept popping up was Newall.

I had one installed on my Rockwell mill & am very happy with it. Last week I had an occasion to contact Newall's customer service & was impressed to say the least at how they remedied a problem that was not really their fault. If you shop around a little I think you'll find them competitively priced & you'll never be sorry when purchasing quality.

David Brown
                            So Cal
                            Blackdog
                            I’m thinking about putting one on my Rockwell Mill, what kinds of problems will I be running into? Pictures would be great.
                            Thanks

Comment

If it is the same as the Sino Dro, they can be set for lathe, or mill.
                              Also radious or Diameter. And putting tape over the read out to do away with the extra decimal is not needed. You can get rid of it with a push of the key.
                              The instruction booklet was written in plain english , and easy enough to understand. My Sino 2 axis, was bought as a mill kit, and installed on a Lathe.
                              But, the seller informed me they are universal, and can be used on either machine. Mine has been on the lathe for a yr now, not a problem.

I also have a Newall DRO on my mill. Not sure how pricing is these days, but I remember paying dearly for the Newall. Years later, its still working too.
                              The Sino was much less money, I think I paid just over 500 bucks for it.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X