Google Sketch Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Sketch Up?

I asked a question a while back about explicit vs. parametric CAD modeling programs.

I use Alibre Design which is parametric.

Evan mentioned that Sketch Up was also parametric but if it is I can't figure out how or where! Sure you can enter the dimensions manually at the creation of a rectangle for instance. But after you extrude it I have not been able to find a way to edit the size of the rectangle. Parametric to me means I can go into a part drawing and alter a dimension at any time and the necessary update to the drawing will be done automatically.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be grateful. I bought Alibre Design and I like it for what I do so this is just a curiosity on my part.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

First create object. Dimension if you wish.

Then select the edge, vertex or face that will be moved and use the move tool (cross shaped) to move it slightly in the direction you want. You can constrain the movement by pressing the shift key while you do this.

As soon as you move it the edit window will open with a value that shows how much you moved it in that direction. Depending what movement you made it may have 1, 2 or 3 cartesian coordinates.

Then enter the value(s) and press Enter.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

That part I get Evan. But after the square is extruded and you would like to change the dimensions on the square is that possible?
      How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Sure, it works the same way. But it is really a work around. Sketchup Pro has true parametrics. I have been looking for a script that will do it the proper way in the free version but haven't found one yet.

Comment

Is it right that you must enter the amount you would like to change length and not the overall length you would like the line to be?

Comment

It all seems a bit clumsy to me. I know it is a free program and all but!

I was just looking around in Sketch UP. Alibre is much more logical for me.

I like being able to select from the Explorer window and modify my parts that way.

Comment

For some reason fully parametric modelling is supported for lines, arcs and curves but not polygons. This only took a couple of minutes to draw using dimension editing.

Comment

I tried using it yesterday to draw a threading die shape but with chain-drilled array of holes around the center. The purpose was to leave behind "teeth" in the slug that could be used with a rotating broach to create the spiral fluting shown in another thread.

Couldn't figure out how to create the array. Being a Google product I had my wifi network shut down so it wouldn't call the mother ship and ran out of time I could spend off line (I'm on call for an extended period owing to vacation schedules - I hate this time of year!), so I deleted it all and moved on. I may light it up in a throw-away vm later.

Wish I could justify RhinoCad or Modo.

Comment

Evan, I never could get that measurement dialog to show up. The only place I could find to input dimension data was in the lower left of the screen. If I clicked on an existing measurement I could input the new data and it accepted it but it did not change the actual sketch. I could have a 4 foot line and a 5 foot line right next to each other but they were the same length.

Comment

To edit measurements use the entity properties window. Then you can edit the radius of a circle or an arc directly or the total length of a line. The catch with lines is they must have one end free to edit parametrically. If they are a side on a polygon the you can't edit the length.

Comment

OK, That lets me feel not quite so inadequate. Because I kept trying to redemension a rectangle.

Have you ever tried Alibre Design?

Comment

I have Alibre and I don't like it at all. It's clumsy to use but so are most CAD programs including Sketchup. I am pretty familiar with at least 20 different CAD and 3D programs and don't like any of them very much. I dislike Sketchup the least.

My favorite rendering program is POV-Ray but it has no GUI. It is programmed in a high level language that is specific to the program and is not transportable or exportable to any outside format. That is because it uses an actual Turing Strong programming language that is very complex. Many of the visual aspects of a scene are computed, not described. I also have a range of 3D mapping programs as well as 3D scene generation software.

There is a lot of overlap between all this software. For instance I can generate a scene in Terragen and tune it up in Wilbur. Then export it to a DXF and load it in SketchUp and skin it with the original scene I created and add models to it. Or I can export it to Cam Bam and rout the terrain into a block of wood or plastic or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                        X