Plug in for Alibre Design to POV Ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug in for Alibre Design to POV Ray?

There is a plug in for Alibre Design to Pov Ray (a rendering program) available but the source code is available but requires compiling. What exactly does that mean? Although rendering is not necessary for building it is satisfying to see a photo realistic representation of what you design.

I am trying to do more CAD work before I actually build/machine things. First it is intriguing second when I become more proficient I should be able to save time. Much less material waste while machining.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

A compiler program turns human readable programming instructions into machine executable binary codes. Where did you find this?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I found it through spiked3's website from a link on the Cambam forum. I think it's www.spiked3.com under downloads. I'd link it but the nerds at work won't let me get there from here.

Cadwiz

Comment

well I guess that's cool, it made the link for me

Comment

It won't compile for me. He has used some location references to assemblies that don't exist on my machine. I will look at it closer later.

Comment

I sent an email to the author of the plug-in and he wrote back that I should use Microsoft c# express to compile with. I downloaded the compiler but don't know how to use it! Any help as to how to compile this add-on?
            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Microsoft Visual C# express isn't just a compiler. It is a development environment. It isn't as simple as feeding it a particular file and clicking on the build button. The problem I have trying to compile it is that the programmer has windows installed in a non default location so all references to that directory path must be changed to the Windows default path for it to compile on my machine.

I will see if I can get it to work some time to day, maybe. That isn't a promise.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                Microsoft Visual C# express isn't just a compiler. It is a development environment. It isn't as simple as feeding it a particular file and clicking on the build button. The problem I have trying to compile it is that the programmer has windows installed in a non default location so all references to that directory path must be changed to the Windows default path for it to compile on my machine.

I will see if I can get it to work some time to day, maybe. That isn't a promise.

I found that out!

Comment

You don't really need to render your cad work to get good looking results. I drew this for fun the other day in SketchUp and just gave it a small illumination touchup in Paint Shop Pro. No extra rendering at all. I used the parametric feature to make the thread forms. Note that the thread forms aren't really threads. To do that I would have used my spiral generator program but that would have taken longer to draw.

Comment

I know I don't "need" to render my drawings to get good looking results but I would like to experiment with some photorealistic results.

I guess I will have to buy SimLab composer to render my drawings from Alibre.

Comment

A rendering program that I like alot is:

http://www.bunkspeed.com/

it will work with either Alibre or Sketchup. I'm not sure about the pricing as this company spit into two separate entities not long ago, and I have lost track of the various flavors available. It is amazingly fast and gives photorealistic results.

rollin'

Comment

Working...
                      X