Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do my half nuts look?

This is from my heavy 10.

Not too much gunk in the body, but enough that has to be cleaned out.

can I dunk the whole body in some carb cleaner and expect the wicks to survive?

Rob

Rob

Some wear can be seen on the leading edge but all in all, look pretty good.
    You can also get some idea of wear by placing them on the most worn part of the lead screw and see if any lateral play is felt.

Had to deal with the same issue on a lathe I am working on, but these have much more wear then what I can see on yours.

Comment

yea that looks fine. Its when the teeth start disappearing that you have to worry (And get around to acme threading a new one before the last tooth disappears!)

The wick? in a cup oiler? Why not just push the oiler out.. Or, just clean the half nut with way oil + a brush? those hardly look dirty enough to warrent carb cleaner... Maybe Kerosene at the most!
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Yes, they look serviceable to me too and they don't look dirty enough to use carb clearner on them. I wouldn't put the wicks in the cleaner.

I suggest you take all the measurements needed to make a new set, put the lathe together and use it. Find out if they are available and how much and decide if you want to make them or buy them.

You won't need a new set for a long time but file the drawing away for future use.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Come to think of it, half nuts are one of those things you might want to make a replacement set before yours fail, but just put em away on a shelf till yours look much worse.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Nuts

You need to take a hard look at the lead screw and see how much it is worn. The worn nuts cannot be good for the screw. I would make a new set from bronze to replace the existing threads.

JRW

Comment

They look fine. I don't think they will hurt the leadscrew because new or old,only the half of the thread that is taking the load is bearing on the leadscrew. Doesn't matter about the trailing edge. As long as the threads haven't gotten distorted and aren't true Acme shape,they are fine.

When I had a Craftsman lathe many years ago,I always meant to clamp the half nuts on an angle plate on the face plate,and bore out the threads,install a bronze tube,and thread it to fit the leadscrew. Ended up selling the miserable thing before I got around to that. I had to change half nuts twice a year on that lathe due to the pot metal.

Comment

thanks

thanks to all who responded.
                Rob

Comment

Working...
                X