Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get a splined 3 step pulley made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get a splined 3 step pulley made?

I'm restoring an old Atlas drill press and one thing I'm not happy with is the slop in the splined part of the spindle pulley. (six spline)

Was just wondering if anyone knew of sources to make new pulleys or If perhaps I could set out to beg borrow or steal ( but would give back ) ...an appropriate spline broach and try and make a stock pulley fit.

I'd really rather have one made if possible.

Open to suggestions.

Ken

Ken,

One drawback about fixing old equipment is that most repairs cost more than the tool, especially if you can't do the work yourself.

Since you're open to suggestions...

Make the step pulley with a round bore yourself. Then, if the splined shaft is some sort of "standard", you might get a coupler and either weld it in or tap holes in the bottom of each pulley groove such that the coupling can be held fast.

The other option is to cut the splines using the lathe's carriage as a shaper.

Here's a link to some standard couplers...

http://www.bareco.com.au/files/pto2002/pto11.htm

If you need to make the "couplers" yourself, see if they need to go full length thru the pully's bore. If not, you can save a lot of work by making them just for the ends.

edit: Can you can use the above technique to fix the existing pulley?

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 08-12-2010, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Try making a request on emachineshop.com

Comment

Do you have a lathe or mill (with rotary table?) if so, you can spline an existing pully easy enough using your lathe or mill as a manual powered shaper... Takes awhile, but doable!

Or, if you own a lathe, you could bore out the existing spline in your existing pully (measure it to death first!!), and hammer in some kinda spline bushing (Could take anything with a spline and turn it down)

If you own nothing... Mcmaster-carr? *shrugs* they have everything else!
        If you don't live in the USA, Lots of people here will forward you stuff from mcmaster (they do NOT ship outside USA afaik)
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I should have qualified. I have 2 lathes...both torn down for restore and I have no mill. Suggestions so far are spurring thought though.

And to answer one of the questions above...the spline does not run the length of the bore...only about 1/2"

Comment

Try looking on Surplus Center, they have a lot of splined items mostly aimed at tractor parts http://www.surpluscenter.com/ like mabye item
            https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...-1562&catname=
            Steve

Comment

Pulley

Cut a single key way in the pulley and make a key with tapered sides to fit the shaft. Secure the key in place in the pulley with Locktite.

JRW

Comment

Not a direct answer to your question but perhaps a solution to your problem.

How about Moglice? I must admit I have never used it but read an article in HSM a few years ago where someone used it to repair an acme nut on a Mill, I believe. The method would be something like this: bore out the existing pulley and leave a rough surface inside, make a couple bushings out of plastic, aluminum, whatever, that fit the high points of the spline and push snugly just into the bored pulley, put a couple of coats of release compound on the spline and using the pulley as a form place it on the spline. Use modeling clay to seal up the openings at the bottom of the pulley where the bushing and spline meet hold the splined shaft vertically and pour in the Moglice. When it hardens the pulley should have perfectly formed splines properly centered inside. It may fit the splined shaft a little too tight but that could be resolved with some judicious filing.

Perhaps someone here has used Moglice before and has more input.

Comment

Didn't think of that at all. A pressed spline coupling held with a set crew in a a generic pulley might be the perfect solution....

Now I have to figure out how to properly measure a spline.

Thanks

Comment

Six Tooth Spline Data

Originally posted by Kenwc
                    Didn't think of that at all. A pressed spline coupling held with a set crew in a a generic pulley might be the perfect solution....

Now I have to figure out how to properly measure a spline.

Thanks

Here is some size data:

Cheers,
                    Les H.
                    The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Thanks Les...

Comment

You mentioned rebuilding lathes.. if it still has a carriage spindle and chuck, you can use it as a shaper to cut the spline. No need for gearboxes/motors/etc. Just manualy power everything
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenwc
                          I'm restoring an old Atlas drill press and one thing I'm not happy with is the slop in the splined part of the spindle pulley. (six spline)

Was just wondering if anyone knew of sources to make new pulleys or If perhaps I could set out to beg borrow or steal ( but would give back ) ...an appropriate spline broach and try and make a stock pulley fit.

I'd really rather have one made if possible.

Open to suggestions.

Ken
                          try chrome plating the spline.

leesr

Comment

Working...
                          X