Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gwilson
    Are you sure it is pure?
    It's pure enough to be used not only as a dye, but even as a medicine. Just regular potassium permanganate crystals without any intentional additives. You can use it for antique repair without any hesitation.

I suggest you google the stuff.
    I don't need to. I used it very extensively to treat patients (no, I didn't buy it in hardware stores ).
    Last edited by MichaelP; 08-15-2010, 02:32 AM.
    Mike
    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Mixing your own spotting compound is probably fun but other than that I can't see any reason to do so. A tube or tin of commercial spotting compound lasts a good long time and it isn't that expensive. Or am I missing some vital advantage of home made stuff?
      Bill

Comment

As far as wood finishes are concerned, "boiled linseed oil" generally contains no linseed oil at all. The name is more of a style than a promise of content.

I like using it on woodworking projects.

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
          KMNO4 IS POISON.
          It's a strong oxidizing agent, but it's not poisonous. Potassium permanganate is used to disinfect drinking water and swimming pools.

KMNO4 is not easy to get since it is an explosive ingredient.
          It's an oxidizer, not an explosive, and is available at any pool supply store

You can also get reagent-grade potassium permanganate at any chemical supply company without a license, and it's dirt cheap on Ebay:
          Potassium Permanganate 98% One Pound

Potassium permanganate has the density of 2.7. It is a dark purple, crystalline solid which is soluble in water, acetone and methanol. It's uses include - disinfectant (used in cleaning fish tanks), deodorizer, bleach, dye, tanning, reagent in analytical chemistry, medicine (antiseptic), manufacture of organic chemicals and purification of water and air. This material is shipped in compliance with USPS Publication 52 guidelines, Section 5A, Appendix A, as an ORM-D, which will be shipped USPS Ground (Parcel Post).

My question for Nick though: what's the advantage of Polyethylene glycol over mineral oil?
          Last edited by lazlo; 08-15-2010, 11:39 AM.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Mixing your own spotting compound is probably fun but other than that I can't see any reason to do so.
            I have three different brands here and they all do some thing better than the other one. There are differences, it's not just some ole blue.
            For me, the Diamant brand (German) is better in the beginning, for fine work the Dykem is better to read but not as forgiving in how you apply it to the master. Also Dykem transfers better from CI to CI.

My question for Nick though: what's the advantage of Polyethylene glycol over mineral oil?
            Until now, it is only way easier to get off your fingers. I also have the impression, that it reacts better when you rub the work longer against the master. Might be, that it can be easier pushed off of the high spots.

I'll have to make a real scraping task with my mixture.

I think, I have more pigments compared to the others, but I don't know by numbers.

Nick

Comment

I suggest you guys use KMNO4 for whatever you want. No sympathy here when you get into trouble. It can be used in medicine by a doctor who knows how to administer it. If you other guys bothered to Google and read,you would have seen that it is a Health Hazard 3,and can be fatal. If you do not think it is an explosive ingredient,try remotely dumping some into GENUINE turpentine(not the crap commonly sold now). It id loaded with oxygen.

Health hazard 3= short exposure can lead to serious temporary or residual injury. I'm sure you guys whose minds are already made up don't want to be confused with FACTS,and are too lazy to research it.
              Last edited by gwilson; 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X