Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starrett comb. square

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Starrett comb. square

    I need some ideas on what type of setting compound to install a bubble vial in place of the broken vial. I would like it to be removable in case I need a second chance to get it close. If anyone has done this with any success ( or not ) I would be interested to hear of it.

    The hole is cleaned out and I found a good vial in a crappy square.
    Jim

  • #2
    I think they use plaster of paris.
    It's only ink and paper

    Comment


    • #3
      Hot glue?
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

      Comment


      • #4
        Jim --

        US Gypsum's Hydrocal B-11 low-expansion plaster has been the de-facto standard for setting precision level vials for many years, but it's not available in small packages. Small instrument-repair shops usually use Plaster of Paris, but it sets fast enough that it can be hard to use. I prefer Patching Plaster, which is available in small packages from most good hardware and building-supply stores, because of its hour-or-so setting time.

        But I don't use straight Patching Plaster, I mix roughly equal volumes of Patching Plaster powder and All-Purpose Flour. The mixture is stickier and sets into a softer solid than straight plaster, which I consider advantages.

        White RTV (the stuff sold as bathtub calk works as well as the "industrial" RTVs from what I've seen) has been a fairly common level-vial bedding compound for the last twenty years or so. It seems to work very well if used in half-pea sized dabs which fully cure in a couple of days, but not so well if used in big globs.

        John

        Comment


        • #5
          I read once (but have never tried it) that using cold tea instead of water delays plaster of paris from setting.

          Michael

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi,
            Here is a full right up for you on replacing one
            http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2197.0

            Dave

            Comment


            • #7
              alternate materials

              I don't know the necessary specs for the plaster or whatever used to cement the vials; however, if low expansion is your primary criterion consider using dental stone or dental crown and bridge die material. Both are considerably harder than plaster of paris; their expansion/contraction is tightly controlled and is specified.

              You could, I'm sure beg a small amount of stone from the family dentist; the crown & bridge die material comes in pre-measured packets. The latter might be more difficult to obtain since most dentists no longer pour the crown & Bridge impressions. Dental supply houses would be a source. I can't imagine that you would need to be a dentist to buy it. Be certain to get the waterowder ratios exact since this factor is vital in controlling the final contraction/expansion of the set material. If you want to go "all out" then use distilled or de-ionized water and not tap water.

              Comment


              • #8
                Rather than buy a 50lb bag of plaster of paris, I would just send it back to Starrett, and have it done right.

                http://www.starrett.com/pages/1641_service_repair.cfm

                Comment


                • #9
                  Silicone caulk,easily reversible with gasoline solvent.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ries
                    Rather than buy a 50lb bag of plaster of paris, I would just send it back to Starrett, and have it done right.

                    http://www.starrett.com/pages/1641_service_repair.cfm


                    Good advice. It doesn't cost that much and it will be done right.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks all for the replies. I didn't know about gasoline solvent reversing silicone caulk. This is strictly a DIY project so I won't bother Starrett.

                      Again thanks for the ideas.
                      Jim

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X