Usually a day late or a dollar short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usually a day late or a dollar short

This was the case here in my community. I saw a Bridgeport mill on craigs list for 300.00 with digital readout. I answered the add anyway, but it was already sold. I'll bet some of you have similar stories. stan

Almost sold my tools but then my dad went nuts and decided not to sell anymore. I was going to use the money to buy a 300$ knee mill (no D.R.O), a 300$ surface grinder, and use the rest of the 2400 to buy other great tooling.

I'm also always short of one or two setscrew, nuts, or other small cheap hardware, and I would have to waste at least 40 minutes obtaining it.

Comment

I recently called a guy about a Chinese lathe he was selling for $250.

As usual, he said it was sold, the day before.

"Then why did you advertise it?" I asked.

"Just wanted to yank the chains of some of those HSMer's out there." was he reply....
      No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Originally posted by saltmine
        I recently called a guy about a Chinese lathe he was selling for $250.

As usual, he said it was sold, the day before.

"Then why did you advertise it?" I asked.

"Just wanted to yank the chains of some of those HSMer's out there." was he reply....
        How 'bout posting his contact info? Wonder what he'd think of a bunch of HSMer's yanking his chain.

Comment

Don't hesitate!

Three things that I learned when looking for a boat.
          1. There are good deals out there.
          2. The really good deals don't last long.
          3. Keep your eyes open.

One Sunday morning the wife was reading the paper while we were having out morning coffee. She said there is a mill for sale in Marble Falls (15 miles south of us). We didn't have any commitments so we called and the guy was going to his shop about an hour later. We decided to go look. Turned out it was in much better shape than mine. It had a DRO and factory X axis feed not much tooling for $2300. I gave him a check and picked it up the next morning.
          Byron Boucher
          Burnet, TX

Comment

My 'dollar short & day late' story actually turned out for the better....
            There was an ENCO Mill for sale on Craigslist, for $2500. So I called the guy and arranged to see it the next day. (It was late)
            The next day, I drove over there and he tells me, "Sorry, I sold it this morning to another guy."
            GGGRRRRRRRRRRR.
            "But I have another mill here, if you're interested."
            The 'other mill' was a beautiful Millrite in great shape, for $1000.
            SOLD !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
              How 'bout posting his contact info? Wonder what he'd think of a bunch of HSMer's yanking his chain.
              no kidding. what an asshat

Comment

My recent CL misses have been a little different.

I needed a larger chainsaw since I installed a wood stove in one of my shops and have been cutting more wood (6-7 cords per year). Did some research and decided on a Stihl MS290 mid-range model.

Purchased the saw from a local dealer with case, extra chain, etc.. for $475. The same model ( virtually new) showed up on CL a week after I got mine for $250.

We do a couple of long camping trips per summer and I wanted one of those super quiet 1000 watt generators. Was considering the Yamaha or Honda, both $720 from local dealers. Bought the Honda in early June. A month later, a low use Yamaha showed up on CL for $400.. O'well..

A success story this week though.. I have been looking for a good brand hydraulic press for a couple of years and have missed several, found a Carolina 30 ton press last Thursday listed for $150, went right over after I saw it and showed up 5 minutes before some other guy.. It's now in my shop. :-)

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher
                  Three things that I learned when looking for a boat.
                  1. There are good deals out there.
                  2. The really good deals don't last long.
                  3. Keep your eyes open.

One Sunday morning the wife was reading the paper while we were having out morning coffee. She said there is a mill for sale in Marble Falls (15 miles south of us). We didn't have any commitments so we called and the guy was going to his shop about an hour later. We decided to go look. Turned out it was in much better shape than mine. It had a DRO and factory X axis feed not much tooling for $2300. I gave him a check and picked it up the next morning.

4. You will be very happy on the day that you buy your boat.
                  5. You will be overjoyed on the day that you sell it.

Comment

Sold my shaper (one of three) the first time October '09. After four months of excuses, bad weather and whatever, I was pi$$ed and sold it a second time (got no money yet). That took until before a week that I once more decided that he had enough time to come by give me the money and take the shaper.
                    PMed a friend, he answered that he wants to sleep over it, rang the next day and showed the following day to hand me over the money and drive home with a nice shaper.
                    That guy wanted to buy my shaper two times, but was either out of money (army) or out of money (new car). Two times too late, two times a dollar to short but finally got what he wanted.

I get a new-to-me shaper next Saturday.
                    A very special kind of shaper for making punches. I bet you have never seen something like this before. I'll make a video ...

Nick

Comment

I missed a $200 Millrite that needed a new motor and a $200 Southbend lathe that needed reassembly last weekend ....

Comment

Thanks god, I miss all Bridgeports.

Nick

Comment

Re:

I get a new-to-me shaper next Saturday.
                          A very special kind of shaper for making punches.

Nick, will it be a Thiel 32 or a Gack 150?

Danny
                          ---------------------------
                          Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, ....... When you propose a solution for someone's problem,
                          wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht. ....... you will be ridiculed for years.
                          Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, ....... When the discovery is finally understood,
                          so nennt sie jeder selbstverstÙ†ndlich. ....... everyone will say it is obvious.
                          -- Wilhelm Busch --

Comment

It will be a Thiel. I have never seen a K150 for sale.
                            Btw, I sold my Gack HE20.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by MuellerNick
                              It will be a Thiel. I have never seen a K150 for sale.
                              Btw, I sold my Gack HE20.

Nick

Woo-Hoo! Nice score.

There was a Gack K150 for sale around a year ago on German eBay.

I have a Gastl 200 (200 mm stroke) and a Vernier mini shape 28 (280 mm stroke).

Small beer compared to your colossus. ;-)

Danny
                              ---------------------------
                              Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, ....... When you propose a solution for someone's problem,
                              wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht. ....... you will be ridiculed for years.
                              Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, ....... When the discovery is finally understood,
                              so nennt sie jeder selbstverstÙ†ndlich. ....... everyone will say it is obvious.
                              -- Wilhelm Busch --

Comment

Working...
                              X