Odd fly cutter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
    DP's cutter is non-adjustable and there's no need to throw salt in an already gaping wound
    If I needed it to be adjustable I could very easily drill additional holes in a spiral pattern around the holder. That assumes I need it to be adjustable and since you didn't ask, I'll tell you, I don't need it to be adjustable.

If I needed it to hold a square section radially I could slot it and install a square section cutter, but I don't need it. What I need is what it is. I built it to suit me. I like it. I even enjoy it. I don't claim it is what everyone or anyone needs. I only claim it is vastly safer than other fly cutters.

For someone who would like to be thought of as intelligent and clever, you're coming off as neither.
    Last edited by dp; 08-18-2010, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
      If I needed it to be adjustable I could very easily drill additional holes in a spiral pattern around the holder.
      Yeah - about that, you might want to do something other than a spiral pattern - just an engineering cue for keeping it in balance Keep in mind that your little cutting tool remains just that - little - as you cannot go outside or even anywhere near your diameter, in fact all you can go is smaller and you can forget ridged boring or adjustable chamfering with it as your Tools Cutter is in a totally different position.

Im just wondering what your thought process would be when doing this - would you fill in all the empty set screw holes with set screws to save time? perhaps let them shoot out at you like bee-bee's whilst working?

Or when you go to change your small cutter to an even smaller one would you just fumble and shuffle the set screws around to the appropriate out of balanced spiral slots?

What I need is what it is. I built it to suit me. I like it. I even enjoy it. I don't claim it is what everyone or anyone needs. I only claim it is vastly safer than other fly cutters.

Nobody's arguing that it's not right for you, it does suit you - its simple - its very limited - and it has no potential for much improvement - its perfect for you...

I still would not go as far as calling it fool proof - after all - you built the thing in the first place and your mill also uses electricity and you could be shocked and or get your finners caught in its plastic gears while starting at it in wonder - esp. if you put your forehead down on the mills table and stare back up at that spiral pattern --- hypnotic ...

For someone who would like to be thought of as intelligent and clever, you're coming off as neither.
      My main goal here is to share information - im not trying to come off as over intelligent and clever but have to admit you have a way of making me look that way,
      For the people who think im being too harsh I would like to point out it was DP that first called the typical style flycutters crap - and that was fine if he would have just kept his flycutter a mystery but then he made the audacious mistake of posting a pic of his and therefore stepped into the massive pile in which his foot not only still resides but will stay for eternity,,, Have a nice day DP...

Comment

For the people who think im being too harsh I would like to point out it was DP that first called the typical style flycutters crap - and that was fine if he would have just kept his flycutter a mystery but then he made the audacious mistake of posting a pic of his and therefore stepped into the massive pile in which his foot not only still resides but will stay for eternity,,, Have a nice day DP...
        I'm in very good company, boom boom. http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...flycutter.html

In the future, when you decide to go ad hominem with your uninformed attacks I'm just going to hit the little triangle and let George follow along.
        Last edited by dp; 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I used to have fights like this.. Then I got into highschool and stoped playing with legos at recess.

Unfortualy in highschool the fights just got more immature, and I did'nt have any legos to play with anymore
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

DP, You seem to want to try and start trouble for no apparent reason other than starting trouble,
            I don't like that - You may think that im doing the same thing but your way off on that,
            When I picked on the positioning of the set screws I did it for good reason, I don't mind stirring the pot esp. when it comes to a safety issue, if it focuses peoples attention to it then goody, lets pick it apart and I will tell you why its bad practice and you can rebuttal,

You did the same thing but you had no reply's afterwords as to why you think that -- and I quote;

I've actually built both from scratch and finally decided the entire concept was crap. As a result I don't use that design in either form.
            Now --- seeing as though on the upwards of 90% of the people who use flycutters are using the one's you call "crap" maybe it's time for you to explain to "us all" as to Why you feel this way,

Please don't say its "a feeling you get" or that you "don't like the shape of them" or anything lame,

Please tell us in an engineering and practical manner - and then as youv compared them to yours Tell us all the things yours does better and just how versatile and practical it is in comparison,
            Be forewarned I know what you built - and you don't have a leg to stand on,
            But the difference between you and me is that I back up the rib poking that I do with solid engineering facts ----- You however simply like to call people's cutters "crap" and then run away like a little school girl.

The site you gave about your cutter is no evidence about "being in good company"
            There's nothing there except how to build one of the archaic things, It's an impressive site for that - but it gives no real reasons as to why in the world someone would want to in the first place,
            To me you might as well have directed the board to a place that sells "pet rocks"
            I mean -- what am I supposed to be impressed with? that it can take a 1/8" depth of cut IN ROSEWOOD? Get freeking real.

And don't threaten me with George, that' not your place but now that youv brought it up - Im sure he doesn't appreciate you starting crap and not backing anything up.
            All this talk DP and not one explanation as to why youv insulted all these people's choice of tooling, (not to mention the standard of the industry) Even when I pick on Harleys I give some pretty solid reasons as to why... So lets here it...

I did stir the pot about the location of the set screws and will always stand by that as this is a machine shop website and it has to do with safety --- how important is this? To me its huge and I gave and will continue to give all the reasons as to why ---- That's the difference between me and you pilgrim....

It seems like when someone calls you out on something and proves you wrong then you come to the realization that "things aren't going your way" so your next move is to throw a little hissy fit...
            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-19-2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

DP, You seem to want to try and start trouble for no apparent reason other than starting trouble,
              Boom boom, I've started no trouble. And I don't intend to get involved in another of your lunatic raves. All your questions have been answered in this thread but that isn't what you want. You want to write, not read.

The little triangle is there for us to use, boomsy, and I don't mind using it if it means you stop dragging me into your muddled diatribes.

Comment

Working...
              X