What oil for bronze bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil for bronze bushing?

The who knows how old whole house fan we have (like this one)

started squealing a couple of days ago. Took it apart and found the shaft rides in what I think are bronze bushings. Everything was quite dry, no lube of any kind, although there was a felt wick that sat on top of the lower bushing. And an oil cup at the top that matched a hole in the felt.

What lube would I use for this? I cleaned it and used wheel bearing grease, but that only lasted for two or three days...

Andy

Straight 20 or 30 wt oil is what I normally use YMMV.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Ive used 15w40, warm the bronze with a pencil flame first, the oil gets sucked in better, i'm sure someone will elaborate, suppose you could warm the oil?
      looking at the design of the register i'd guess late 70,s
      mark

Comment

either of the above will work as will 3 in 1 oil

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
          dam i forgot the old 3in1, i think the smell of that stuff started be off in engineering as a child
          mark

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
            Yup,put some Mint oil in it and you have $9.00/can Tapmajic too
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by boslab
              dam i forgot the old 3in1, i think the smell of that stuff started be off in engineering as a child
              mark

Yeah, that and WD40 are the stuff flashbacks to childhood are made of. Can't forget the ozone smell from the old B&D 1/4" single speed non reversable drill either

Andy
              still has the drill

Comment

I am partial to slightly lighter oil because it seems to penetrate the porous bushings faster and better. Most of those, if not all, would be "oilite" types.

If the old oil is really gummy or "dried", you may actually have to disassemble and clean with solvent, because the residual oil will block up the pores.

Mostly, with exhaust fans, there is an accumulation of dust/lint that ends up wicking the oil out of the bearings, particularly the bottom one, so the problem isn't "dried" oil but "no" oil. Then re-oiling works fine.

Saturate that felt wick, and put some oil on the shaft at the bearing also, for initial lube. When the bearing heats up in use, it will expel air and will then draw oil in from the wick when it later cools.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

It was pretty grimy with congealed dust and whatnot. I don't have the exact size with me, but McMaster lists bushings for about a buck each. I'll lube the wick and get new bushings and that should take care of it.

3 in 1 is what, 10 wt oil?

Thanks all.

Andy

Comment

I can tell you what not to put on it. Nothing that has PTFE or Teflon. TriFlo is one example. It turns to glue in a year or so. It cost Xerox big bucks to find that out. Also, nothing that is "extreme pressure" rated such as differential lube. The extreme pressure additives are not compatible with yellow metals and will cause corrosion.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

3 in 1 makes an electric motor oil ( has a pic of a motor on it) I think it is SAE 20 Wt. Oilite bearings are lubricated with SAE 30 Wt. at the factory.

If you have a vacuum pump, make up a simple oil impregnator out of a mason jar. Soak an old dried out bearing clean in acetone, pop it in the jar and cover with oil. Pull a vacuum and you will be amazed how much air bubbles out of the metal.

RWO

Comment

I just remembered I have a couple of quarts of 30wt non deterget motor oil, I think I'll use that instead of the 3 in 1.

Andy

Comment

So long as they are standard replaceable bushings, you may be good that way....

Some are self-aligning, typically found in electric fan MOTORS, not separate shafts, and those often are non-replaceable, if only because you won't generally find the part anywhere, and because they are often spun or staked together.

Solvent works well, use a q-tip or a few of them, to clean the bore. Don't be stingy with solvent, more crud will ooze out if you keep at it.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Go to local HVAC joint,look for........jandorf "original" Zoom spout.Its the right oil(some thin spindle oil)with a rediculously convenient telescoping spout.The bloomin thing stretches out almost 12".BW

Comment

That's exactly what I use for small motors. The same stuff is available in many hardware stores (non-big-box) from "Sealed Unit Parts Co".

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X