Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding class... resolution (You'll like it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding class... resolution (You'll like it)

So, armed with proof that I can read, in the form of the transcript that they had to have, I went off to register tonight.

I waited an hour + to see an "advisor" who didn't even look at the transcript........ She decided I had one, so she would approve the class for me.

So, upstairs I went to registration............

Guess what? The class is now closed!

I started this process back in July, which I assumed would be plenty of time..... NOPE! I wasn't even assigned a student number until last Monday, and without that, you can't proceed any further.

While they were diddling around asking me for a transcript to prove I can read, the class filled up.

My tax dollars at work, I guess.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Stung

JT.

Someone seemed to have "stung" you.

You may be rewarded for your tenacity after all.

Go back next week.

Tuesday Weld may be just what you've been waiting for.

Make sure your "stinger" is in good working order for "all position" work.

Take a rest Wednesday and tell us all about it on Thursday.

As always - pics are required.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...66f2fb68f6eb4c

Comment

Did you at least get mad and cause a scene?
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
        Did you at least get mad and cause a scene?
        I promised my wife that this time she would not have to bail me out.......

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Choked

Did you get "bailed up" JT?

Here's what it means in OZ:

bail up
          vb (adverb)
          1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Agriculture) Austral and NZ informal to confine (a cow) or (of a cow) to be confined by the head in a bail See bail3
          2. (Historical Terms) (tr) Austral History (of a bushranger) to hold under guard in order to rob
          3. (intr) Austral to submit to robbery without offering resistance
          4. (tr) Austral informal to accost or detain, esp in conversation; buttonhole
          http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bail+up

Bail up.

verb
          •to call some one to halt, particularly when the intention is to rob. Usually used in reference to Australian bushrangers. Possible origin: to place a cow in bails prior to milking.
          He tried to bail up a traveller en route to the diggings.
          http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/bail+up

I am choking on some of the images that those definitions suggest.

Comment

Jerry did You get on a waiting list in case someone drops the class?
            Steve

Comment

Show up the first night and appeal to the instructor. As a retired college prof., I can verify that at most schools the prof has the authority to add a student. I frequently added beyond the max number because I knew there would be drops, and there always were.

Comment

The Doctor is right.......

Be sure to check back about cancellations.

Back in the summer of '71, I signed up for a welding class at the local CC. For 2 reasons, one was I needed a welding credit for the Diesel mechanics program. The main reason was that with a credit class under my belt, I'd have returning student status, and would have preference when applying for the all too hard to get into 1st year mechanics courses. Worked like a champ, too.

However, the class was in the summer, and it was pretty hot. Seems like there were 18 of us, the class was full. By the end of the second week, it was down to 4. Those that toughed it out got lots of one on one with the instructor. Passed the arc101 with an A, challenged the final test for arc102, pased it and also got credit, with another A. So I had a 4.0 GPA, and made the dean's list.

Moral: don't give up yet!

TC

Comment

It sounds like you got "screwed, blued and tattooed".

Here's some advice - why not show up the first night with your papers and see if anyone drops the class? There are usually one or two who change their mind....

Comment

I have talked to the instructor, so I am apprised of the facts for now..... and will probably find out if anyone drops it.

But the "machine" is not adapted to dealing with late registration, so......

I hear there may be a spring class next year.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                      I have talked to the instructor, so I am apprised of the facts for now..... and will probably find out if anyone drops it.

But the "machine" is not adapted to dealing with late registration, so......

I hear there may be a spring class next year.

Hmm, is this what they mean when they say Missouri is the "Show me state"? It sounds like you have to show everyone everything all of the time to get anything done....sheesh.
                      Last edited by gnm109; 08-17-2010, 09:35 AM.

Comment

JT, have you considered a sex change operation, you are already technically a lesbian...

Maybe spend a lot of quality time in the sun, work that affirmative action status....That stuff always makes the government types smile.

Maybe speak some foreign language when you go in there... Every little bit helps, the more boxes they get to check the more eager they will be to make a spot for you.

Comment

That's okay. I once signed up for a community college "welding" course and paid my tuition. After the fourth week when we still hadn't touched a torch (but had taken two tests already), about an hour into the three hour clas, I got up in the middle of the instructor's sentence, packed my papers and walked straight to the bookstore and returned my text. I never came back.
                          I have a relative with an HVAC "degree" from this community college, and I later learned he had the same welding instructor when he attended decades before. Apparently there was little to no practical experience back then either

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers

My tax dollars at work, I guess.
                            I think it's just good old fashion American age discrimination.

Comment

Ironical

And that, Dennis, is good old 'merican irony.

Do you think it will help JT at all if we were to remind him that Lazlo (with 3 EE degrees - 2 of 'em Masters if I recall correctly) had no problem getting enrolled in several welding etc. courses in TX recently?

It may not have been a good idea to refer to perhaps having crossed the line where ageism begins?

21 isn't it?

Or is it 30? 40? - must be 'coz 40 is VERY old in this day and age.

Comment

Working...
                              X