Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mitee Bite and Gibraltar fixture clamps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitee Bite and Gibraltar fixture clamps.

So I ordered from Enco what I thought was a great deal. 2 sets of Gibraltar surface fixture clamps for $8.00. The picture included the screws in the ad. Turns out I only bought the hexagonal washers, no offset screws.

That being said, does anyone make their own offset head screws? Is there a cheaper version of this magical screw? I do not need 10 screws for $35.00 and I can't find any place that sells single screws, or sets of 2. I can't justify paying $3.00 a screw times 10.

Any help is appreciated. #8-32 screw is the size in question.

Just stick a SHCS in the 3-jaw with a spacer on one jaw for the offset and turn it down. I have made a few and it didn't take any time at all. I don't remember exactly what I used for the spacer but it was around 20 thou or so.

Edit: Mitee Bite clamps use button heads, looks like Gibralter uses socket heads. The button heads would allow for a larger offset.
    Last edited by RKW; 08-18-2010, 12:15 AM.
    "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

I'll try it, thx. But do I need and independent 3 jaw chuck? Mine is not independent.
      Last edited by Sportandmiah; 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Confused!!

Do you really need an Independent 3 Jaw to do this??? Isn't the shim there to give the desired offset using a normal 3 jaw chuck?

Rgds
        Michael

Australia

Comment

Either a 3-jaw with a spacer or independent 4-jaw will work. Whatever will give you an offset. Do they even make an independent 3-jaw?
          "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

There was a well done tread on DIY mitee bite clamps on here or maybe PM 2 or 3 years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X