No announcement yet.

The biggest advantage of using CAD for designing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey may parts aren't crooked! They are size optimized!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I have it working. The script does an ok job of creating a Pov-Ray script but it doesn't do it all. It isn't one stop shopping. He makes the assumption that you know how to use PovRay and can make the necessary adjustments.

That isn't a put down of the program. The part it does is the really tedious part which is converting the geometry to PovRay Scene Description Language (SDL). SDL is a real programming language and it has a steep learning curve like any other programming language. SDL is steeper than most because the functions are oriented to the creation of graphics and the handling of the physics of light. The language syntax is pretty similar to C but that is where it ends.

I can show you how to make simple changes to things like the camera positions and the lighting but if you want to do things like changing the background scenery then you will have to start reading the tutorials and help files. They are excellent, probably the best documentation of any software out there. It is filled with small code scraps that you can cut and paste into the editor and try right away. PovRay has been in development for over 20 years as it first came out for the Amiga which is when I first used it.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The biggest advantage of using CAD for designing
        It allows you to design it wronger - Faster.

Regards Ian.
        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Evan I think you have enough on your plate right now!

Evan I appreciate your time and effort. I would like to try/use POV. But right now it is not important for me and you need to maybe devote your efforts to your home situation. But when you have time I would appreciate your help. I have started reading the tutorials for POV. As you say very good.

The exact steps to follow as to getting the right file into POV would be a good start for me. But only if it is convenient for you.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
            Of course I was making a half joke about changing the CAD to match my mistakes but......only half a joke. For you real machinists of course that is not an option I know. And as I get better I hope it happens less often.
            It's called an "As built" drawing

Tim

Comment

Working...
            X