ISO 9001 & Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO 9001 & Quality

Today while browsing my new issue of HSM I noted that one of the frequent advertisers is running a sale on various machines. In the ads for several machines is written "Made in ISO 9001 Factory". Given the many opinions regarding quality of imported equipment it got me wondering, is this any real indication or guarantee of quality when it is made in one of the factories carrying this certification?

A search of the web will yield what the certification means in general for factories meeting the criteria, but does this translate into any real world quality difference?

Absolutely none.

As a person dragged thru it (sideways in the thick of it)
    when it first appeared, I can tell you this:

You write your own quality guidlines, then follow them...

Yup, that's the jist of it.

Make sure that you follow them, to the letter, and document
    that you are, in fact following them, to the letter.

Comment

ISO is of value to a commercial customer or even someone looking at an acquisition; it means you've got organizational stuff together to the point where at least I can follow your process from a book rather than standing on the factory floor, and that workers are used to going by the book (if i want to make changes)

If their product design, materials etc is good, ISO at least gives you some hope that you're not getting a big negative variation, a lemon....but it in no way has any bearing on how good the product is. The worst product in the world can easily be from a plant that's ISO, it just means that they have proper procedures to ensure the consistent production of that worst product

then again if its China, I don't believe ISO status because some chinese company claims it. Heck if i tell you it's my JV factory, come on and visit, they'll put my name on the building beside theirs just for your benefit. The business culture is such they will tell you anything you want to hear, the truth doesn't factor into it.
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I couldn't agree more with Digger. Its about procedures, nothing more.
        I too went through the significant hassle of getting a company though it in the early '90s. Then i went on to find that competitors and suppliers who had it, were just as bad as those who didn't. I tried raise a QA non-conformance issue on a large UK PLC distributor, they had shipped me a 32MB memory board for a large UNIX server in a jiffy bag. This was at the time about 32K GBP for a PCB that was A3 sized. No ESD Protection and no rigid protection. Could I raise a non conformance, could I hell. At that time I realised the real value of ISO 9001. You had to have the ticket to meet the requirements for certain contracts, but underneath it meant nothing about real quality. You can produce crap and deliver a crap service as long as you document what you are doing and it confirms to your procedures.

Comment

You could make a concrete life jacket and have its production comply with ISO 9001.

Comment

My Intestines can get an ISO9001 rating;same process day in/day out. And the end product is...

Comment

Greg, that is the best explanation I have ever heard for ISO 9000. I do believe that I will steal it.
              Todd

Comment

ISO is great if you have a process in place already and you want to document.

Too often a company tries to slap together a "process" then they "document" it and they lock themselves on a course to oblivion. One of the most important parts is to remember to develop a process modify your processes.... Argh.

It's like polishing a turd on your lathe. An exercise in frustration, you end up with **** everywhere and your 4-jaw chuck smells bad. There are other things you can spend your time and money on.
                This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

ISO certification: The skill, experience and pride of a workman is reduced to a flow chart.
                  Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

If you make a $hity widget before ISO, you will only make a well documented $hity widget using ISO.

Simple as that...

Comment

Wow, not one positive comment regarding ISO 9001! Looks like the aforementioned advertiser is just using it as a marketing ploy to the uninformed. Now that I know that I have a little less respect for the company using it as advertisement because it seems they are willing use some professional sounding but worthless standard to deceive customers into thinking they are getting a superior product.
                      Thanks for the info.

Comment

Don't be too hard on them. They probably spent a bundle getting certified back in the 90's when it was a hot buzzword, and they're still trying to get some value out of it.
                        Todd

Comment

I've been through ISO 9001 audits a few times... they never really cared how much scrap we produced, just that we documented it.

On the production side, all they seemed to check was if the operators knew where to find the process documentation - and that any papers on the floor were current.

I never saw any point in it until I moved to the employer I'm at now... No documentation, no set procedures, nothing. The boss decided what he wants today, and how we're going to do it. Totally random and often contradictory. Quality and consistency are spotty at best and the company is unlikely to survive the recession. That's the value of ISO Certs... to weed out the disorganized companies from those that have their sh!t together.

Comment

The Co. can make trash and as long as the paperwork says they make trash all is good with ISO.

I had to deal with it for years and the only thing I could figure out is that it is a way a big Co. can knock out a small Co on a bid.

Comment

Originally posted by digger_doug
                              Absolutely none.

As a person dragged thru it (sideways in the thick of it)
                              when it first appeared, I can tell you this:

You write your own quality guidlines, then follow them...

Yup, that's the jist of it.

Make sure that you follow them, to the letter, and document
                              that you are, in fact following them, to the letter.
                              Doug and others,

You're on target. Its more of an accounting/documentation process than anything and does not mean you are producing quality products or services.

BTW, my first degree was in quality and I'm well versed in Deming. I think he'd be turning over in his grave if he knew how ISO 9001 is being used.

Stan

Comment

Working...
                              X