Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT -- I am going about this the wrong way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT -- I am going about this the wrong way...

I keep burning myself on the thermoset molds. I've tried various types of arm-sleeves. I've tried different kinds of gloves.

I give up. My left arm is pocked with a dozen burns, and I have 18 on my right. Red scorch-stripes, a couple decent blisters... Ouch.

Thermoset is where the money is so I'm not giving it up... What I need is a way to alter my skin so it doesn't burn.

I'm thinking carbon-fiber sub-dermal weave... possibly genetic alteration. Do any of you have a nano-molecular assembly array? Or a self-genetic-alteration kit? If I alter my DNA I could replace my arm-hair with rock-wool.

Suggestions? Leads? Equipment Suppliers? Little help here please...

This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Have you considered chainmail sleeves? Google it.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
      Have you considered chainmail sleeves? Google it.
      All I'm getting is pictures of idiots in armor... but I do recall hearing about woven mesh gauntlets... Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it tomorrow.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

They have leather sleeves for welders. Just the sleeves. They are connected by a leather strap that goes behind your neck.

Comment

Liger,
          Have you tried welders leather sleeves? I would think they would help
          a bunch. Just a thought.

Toolguy types faster then I do.
          Last edited by KINGWELD; 08-19-2010, 10:59 PM.
          JIM : You don't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

Comment

Leather or cotton are the best choices when dealing with high temps. something like a jean jacket can do wonders.

Does not melt like synthetics, Tends to not burn through easily (you can take a propane torch to a jean/leather jacket for a few seconds with no or little effect)

If globs of molten stuff hit it, it should insulate it long enough for you to pull the jacket away from your skin.. then let it safely cool and set. Or just take the jacket off..
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

They make 'em with straps like that? That's EXACTLY what I need. Clips and pins don't work, I need something more robust.

I'll look into this as well tomorrow.

Currently I use a yellow-fuzzy-kevlar sleeve that has elastic. They tend to bunch and twist, exposing my skin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...BurnIsBurn.jpg

These are the latest. My elbow is quite scared up too... and I got more on the other arm.

Part of the problem is the design of some of these molds... they have guide bars and pins that have to be kept hot. I have to reach around them.

Clips pop off and pins rip my shirts, long sleeves don't work very well as they are too thin to block the heat.

Long straps though... that just might do it.

EDIT: Jean material... straps... maybe some insulation between layers... I think I might need to talk to that creepy old lady with the sewing machine down the road. (she's actually very sweet, she calls herself "creepy old lady" and laughs when she does it.)
              Last edited by Liger Zero; 08-19-2010, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
                All I'm getting is pictures of idiots in armor... but I do recall hearing about woven mesh gauntlets... Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it tomorrow.
                Here's some manly men in ballistic mesh:

http://www.texasartcat.com/ballisticmesh.html

http://www.arksafety.com/productList...nId=6&manId=46

Gloves and sleeves. They never wear out. I've only seen them used in fish packing canneries, and to protect from flying knives.

Comment

This will make you look silly, but......

Go to goodwill and get a leather jacket and with a sharp knife cut away anything that is not usefull.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfrnzy
                    This will make you look silly, but......

Go to goodwill and get a leather jacket and with a sharp knife cut away anything that is not usefull.
                    Hmmm - There may still be a use for my old Berkeley High School jacket. Red body, gold/yellow leather sleeves, 80 lbs too small and 45 years old

Edit: Yikes - 49 years old. I got it in 1961.

Comment

This might be way off, but...... when I worked in a die cast plant (AL & MG )
                      we used plies to pull the parts off. Is there a tool you could make that would work without damaging the part , maybe a suction wand.

Comment

Originally posted by dewat
                        This might be way off, but...... when I worked in a die cast plant (AL & MG )
                        we used plies to pull the parts off. Is there a tool you could make that would work without damaging the part , maybe a suction wand.
                        In a word, no...

Not with the jobs in house. Down the road when we start building jobs we'll design them to be "operated" as much as possible.

Comment

Ouch! Try some Silver sulfadiazine on that burn. When I used the Silver sulfadiazine it killed the pain and gave a cool feeling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_sulfadiazine

Comment

Apart from the expensive STIFF engineered fabrics the best ive found is melton cloth, its wool fibre as used by steelworkers , look up fondrymans jackets, it also comes as armlets with elastic cuff its good up to 900 degrees, mine gets splashed quite regularly, a big slash of steel will go through....ow that hurts
                            mark

Comment

Somewhere back in the seldom used grey cells is a memory of a cloth what was heat reflective. Wait- it's coming to me- yes! Asbestos cloth! Just kidding-

Actually I do faintly recall something about a cloth that was heat reflective, but it's not coming forward at the moment. It seems that many solutions require a thick covering of some sort, but of course the better it may work, the more awkward it probably is to wear. Maybe check with firefighters or other emergency response people- could get a good steer out of it, if not a direct endorsement of a certain product. I would think there's something out there reasonably well suited to the job.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X