Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Downloading on Dialup

A question for the group...

While using dialup I have come across sites where during a download (usually a PDF), the download process will stop.

After repeating the process, the downloading always stops at the same point (so many MB) and it doesn't not seem to matter whether it is a download through IE or if Adobe Reader is open.

Any ideas what is going on?

It would seem to be a problem on the transmitting end.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TMT

I am an inveterate info-junkie, and have downloaded hundreds of gigabytes of PDF files over a phone modem. The best you can do with 56 Kb dialup is roughly 18 megabytes per hour.

Unless you have a well-endowed system (lots of memory, fast processor(s), appropriate paging space, _and_ a real modem instead of a soft modem, the fundamental rule is: hands off of the computer while a download is in progress.

1. PDF files can be very large - I think the largest I ever encountered was about 400 megabytes. Large files will place a heavier load on the system and the net than small files.

2. Unless it is a small PDF document (10 pages or less) do not attempt to read it online; download it and read it locally.

3. Are you using a download manager? Some servers will mistake their behavior for something malign, and terminate the connection. (Google Books is such a site - maybe scribd as well.) I actually logged an error report with Google over this (4 years ago) - but they weren't interested in changing the behavior of their watchdog software.

=============

I had a very well-endowed system with a soft modem - and if I didn't scrupulously follow the hands-off rule, I would eventually choke the system during a download.

I wonder if the server in question is arbitrarily terminating your connections after a certain time-interval, one sufficiently long to service cable-modem users (for example), but insufficiently long for telephone modem users. It's rare for that to occur, but not impossible.

Comment

Further thought: the regularity of your failure mode brings to mind exactly what happened to me once Google Books decided I was a content-thief:

My IP address was placed on a list, and for a finite period of time (roughly 1 week as I recall, any attempt to download any file from Google Books would proceed only so far, and then abort.

Are you on somebody's hit list?
      Last edited by tlfamm; 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm
        Further thought: the regularity of your failure mode brings to mind exactly what happened to me once Google Books decided I was a content-thief:

My IP address was placed on a list, and for a finite period of time (roughly 1 week as I recall, any attempt to download any file from Google Books would proceed only so far, and then abort.

With most dialup services, you get a different IP address when you reconnect.
        I would use a download manager like free download manager. It allows you to RESUME a download.
        I feel for you... Can't you go to a Mcdonalds and use their free wifi?

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
          A question for the group...

While using dialup I have come across sites where during a download (usually a PDF), the download process will stop.

After repeating the process, the downloading always stops at the same point (so many MB) and it doesn't not seem to matter whether it is a download through IE or if Adobe Reader is open.

Any ideas what is going on?

It would seem to be a problem on the transmitting end.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TMT
          post a link so I can see it. Have you updated adobe in the last couple of years? if not try that it has some issues a couple of years ago.
          I could also be a hijack site and your firewall might be blocking something.
          Its best not to download unless it is the manufactures website, most of the sites that offer "free" manuals and other things have a hidden agenda.

Comment

It sounds like insufficient memory (RAM).........

Comment

TMT,
              We may not agree on aged tires
              but I can sure sympathize on the download with dial up, that quitting in the same spot was common for me as well.
              Never found out why, sometimes it fixed itself at a later time.

What I did was ask a friend with a faster connection to download and zip it, then email it to me.
              That took care of the problem, however, doesn't help when you want or need it faster.

Comment

I'm on cable, but for some time now I haven't been able to download PDF's larger than about 20 MB. That didn't used to be the case, I was able to download files of almost any size. I wonder if in my case, the cable company has put a cutoff in place at that file size. It isn't the PDF downloader I'm using, because I have the same problem with Foxit and Adobe. I know the cable company is sensitive about the amount of bandwidth used, as they regularly cut off my sons account, because he has exeeded his monthly limit.

Comment

I wonder if the server in question is arbitrarily terminating your connections after a certain time-interval, one sufficiently long to service cable-modem users (for example), but insufficiently long for telephone modem users. It's rare for that to occur, but not impossible.
                  I suspect it might be this.

Awhile back I had a similar problem and was able to download the file on the same computer...over a borrowed wifi.

And then moved on..

This time I would like to understand the problem.

TMT

Comment

LOL...well I am "really popular" in some places.

I don't think it is a IP address thing but thanks for mentioning it...good to know it can happen.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by RB211
                      With most dialup services, you get a different IP address when you reconnect.
                      I would use a download manager like free download manager. It allows you to RESUME a download.
                      I feel for you... Can't you go to a Mcdonalds and use their free wifi?

LOL...that is my fallback plan.

Meanwhile I am trying to understand why it is happening.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                        TMT,
                        We may not agree on aged tires
                        but I can sure sympathize on the download with dial up, that quitting in the same spot was common for me as well.
                        Never found out why, sometimes it fixed itself at a later time.

What I did was ask a friend with a faster connection to download and zip it, then email it to me.
                        That took care of the problem, however, doesn't help when you want or need it faster.
                        No problem with the tire discussion ;<)...I only learn from others by discussing stuff.

I have other options to get the file but I want to figure this problem out because there are times where dialup/satellite is the only option.

Believe it or not, most of the country still doesn't have accessible hispeed Internet.

What a pain.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Robin R
                          I'm on cable, but for some time now I haven't been able to download PDF's larger than about 20 MB. That didn't used to be the case, I was able to download files of almost any size. I wonder if in my case, the cable company has put a cutoff in place at that file size. It isn't the PDF downloader I'm using, because I have the same problem with Foxit and Adobe. I know the cable company is sensitive about the amount of bandwidth used, as they regularly cut off my sons account, because he has exeeded his monthly limit.
                          I would ask them.

Let us know if that is the case.

It drives me nuts to spend hours trying to fix a problem and then find out that some idiot on the other end changed a setting and didn't tell me.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                            Believe it or not, most of the country still doesn't have accessible hispeed Internet.

What a pain.

TMT
                            The USA ranks #18 on the the Worlds internet speed, go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
                              It sounds like insufficient memory (RAM).........
                              Thought of that.

I tried downloading larger files...and they worked.

TMT

Comment

Working...
                              X