i need help to make an inside coilspring compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help to make an inside coilspring compressor

ok here is the deal both my rear coil springs snaped yesterday man life sucks any how i need a simple design to make an inside coil compressor tool as i can not afford to go and buy one ..i have a lathe and mill , i just need some demensions and a good thread size that i should use and so on,

On your bike, your car, in your underpants.....?

Comment

car sorry sould have mention that and its a 2006 G5 has seperate coil and seperate shock in the back and its the back coils both snapped same place same time kinda freakie really

Comment

I really don't see why you would need a spring compressor. If you jack the car up, put it on jack-stands, and put the floor jack under the suspension(where the spring is). You should ba able to unbolt the shock, and gently let that side of the suspension down far enough to allow you to remove the spring without compressing it. (Oh, that's right, you said they're both broke.)

Letting the suspension down as described will allow enough room to install the new springs too. Just jack the suspension back into place and re-connect the shock when the spring is in place.

BTW, What the heck is a G5?
        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

You'll probably need to undo a brake hose or cable too.

Comment

id like to avoid messing with the brake lines , so ya a compressor is the best idea for this , and alot less hassel to..

A G5 is also known as the pontiac pursuit, it has a 2.2 eco tec thats on steroieds 140 MPH top end full sport suspension sweet car ,

Comment

As saltmine said once the suspension is relaxed no spring compression is required to remove and replace the coils on your Pontiac G5.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

i under stand that i just dont want to destrub the brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by airsmith282
                  i under stand that i just dont want to destrub the brake lines
                  Why? Bleeding brakes (if necessary) is usually an easy job. What's so special about these brake lines?

Pics would help us understand the issues.

Comment

Guys....I've changed hundreds of springs, both front and rear, and never had to touch the brake lines.
                    No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

If you are friendly with your local parts man and you are buying the parts from him he will usually allow you to borrow or rent a compressor.
                      Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Still no reason to use a spring compressor. As for messing with brake lines, remove the entire caliper,just take some wire and hang the caliper from the frame or body someplace. No need to remove the brake line. I too wonder what the problem is removing the line and bleeding it upon re-installation???? It is a simple process, I do it here at least a few times a week, as well as clutches.

Comment

I went looking for G5 suspension information and found this:
                          "The Pontiac G5 is a rebadged Chevrolet Cobalt compact car that was marketed by the Pontiac division of General Motors. It was first introduced in 2004 for the 2005 model year. For 2005 and early 2006, this car was known as the Pontiac Pursuit in the Canadian market, and G5 Pursuit during mid-2006. It was also known as the Pontiac G4 in Mexico from 2005-2006. It was released to the U.S. market in August 2006 as a 2007 model.The G5 and Cobalt are built upon the GM Delta platform and is available as a sedan in Canada and Mexico. In the United States, the G5 is only available as a coupe."

Later on I found "Delta uses an independent suspension in front and torsion bar type in the rear. "

Another site had this to say:
                          "The vehicle uses a MacPherson strut-type front suspension, semi-independent torsion beam rear suspension, and front and rear stabilizer bars for more exact body roll control."

This information would lead me to believe there are no coil springs in the rear, but internet information is often wrong. Question is, is it wrong in this case?

Comment

Arcane, the info I have says the same as what you have found.
                            Would be interesting to see a picture of the affected components.
                            Very unusual to have one coil spring break on such a new car presumably driven on pavement only, never mind two in one day.
                            Especially on a car that isn't supposed to have rear coils.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
                              Arcane, the info I have says the same as what you have found.
                              Would be interesting to see a picture of the affected components.
                              Very unusual to have one coil spring break on such a new car presumably driven on pavement only, never mind two in one day.
                              Especially on a car that isn't supposed to have rear coils.
                              You Guys do know who you're dealing with ,right? This is the same car builder that put pontiac engines in oldsmobiles and all sorts of other subs.
                              To make things worse the O.P. has been known to stretch the truth a little.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X