Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought expanding foam could only make ulgy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought expanding foam could only make ulgy.

And all this time, I thought expanding foam only results in ulgy jobs with blobs everywhere.

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...s-and-pu-foam/

+10 bonus points if you can get to the bottom of the page without laughing.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Actually pretty amazing work even though I don't really like punked-out cars.

Did I miss a step though? I would expect the foam to be covered with fiberglass or body putty.
    "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

Boy, that's a trip and a half! Lightweight body work with energy absorption built in. What more could you want?
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Perseverance and talent. That guy's got both. When I see someone doing so much with such basic, minimal equipment it makes me wonder whether I'd even start.

Comment

Done similar years ago on a friends Rotten Nova,everything from the back glass to the bumper was foam and fiberglass.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Remember, in Spanish, Nova means no-go!

David
            David Kaiser
            “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
            ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I did the side doors and rocker panels on my earlier van with foam ...and a little aluminum house flashing and soffit trim thrown in.
              yes, i covered it with bondo.
              Last edited by Deja Vu; 08-22-2010, 10:43 PM.
              John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

As far as expanding foam..... and ugly........ might be in the eye of the beholder

Most / many of the facades of the luxury hotels in Vegas are made with it....as well as many other similar places. That "carved stone" you see is often foam base and a sprayed urethane coating over it.

A local company(since bought out, I believe) made and sold the urethane foam precursor materials for several of those projects. Isocyanate / polyol materials, cooked up just North of the airport, next door to a long "barrow" covering nuclear waste materials from the Manhattan project.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                  As far as expanding foam..... and ugly........ might be in the eye of the beholder

Most / many of the facades of the luxury hotels in Vegas are made with it....as well as many other similar places. That "carved stone" you see is often foam base and a sprayed urethane coating over it.

A local company(since bought out, I believe) made and sold the urethane foam precursor materials for several of those projects. Isocyanate / polyol materials, cooked up just North of the airport, next door to a long "barrow" covering nuclear waste materials from the Manhattan project.
                  Yes, its common in the sign industry.

Oh! don't you mean....ulgy:
                  a situation when a shooting, fight or beatdown might happen.
                  oh **** its bout 2 get real ulgy up in here.
                  Last edited by Deja Vu; 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM.
                  John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                    +10 bonus points if you can get to the bottom of the page without laughing.

No bonus points for me. That coat he is wearing in the fifth pic did me in.

ME

Comment

Brings back memories of....

In years gone by we used to take a plastic coffee cup and mix up some foam and put it in a friends desk and close it. He would then have to disassemble the desk to get it open and spend a hour getting his drawing instruments out of the foam.
                      Byron Boucher
                      Burnet, TX

Comment

The first thing I saw was the HUGE rims.

Comment

You may laugh, but the guy is a genius. That is incredible.

Comment

If it ever gets wrecked I'd hate to see the crash seen. Probably look like that seagull hit by randy Johnson's fast ball.

Comment

The skill and artistry demonstrated is nothing short of amazing. I've seen this article before- it's a year or two old- and I'm still impressed with the workmanship.

That said, the resulting car is horrendously ugly. It's the kind of car that Aztek owners look at and go "ew!"

The dude knew what he was doing from a technical standpoint, sure, but a blind guy'd have a hard time making it look worse.

Doc.
                              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                              X