Beeswax and threading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beeswax and threading

Well, there I go again, being a cheap bastard. Had a need to do some threading on 416 stainless, in order to make a vise handle. I'd been using some heavier weight oils for lubrication while threading, but was still getting unacceptable tearing. The tool was a sharp insert, and the speed was slow.

I figured I'd try some things, and knowing that beeswax is a great high pressure lubricant (like for cast lead bullets!), well....

The beeswax I've got is raw, unadulterated, and pure. Not cut with any solvents, etc. I merely rubbed it on the work and went to cutting. Wow! The stuff was like magic compared to oils. When the work gets hot, the beeswax does melt, but even when the work is cool, the localized work area gets hot, and the beeswax does it's job.

No tearing, no screaming, no nothing except B-E-A-utiful threads.

I've also used it with my parting tool, and have been thorougly impressed.

Anyone else have similar experience?

I'm sure some Brit or Aussie is going to chime in with comments about Mutton Tallow, but I don't have any of that handy....

Oh, and by the way, the warm beeswax DOES come off quite nicely from the work when rubbed with used toilet paper (from my TP filter).

1smalljohnson

I have a commercially made stick of lube that is made for that. Likely your bees wax works better. Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by 1smalljohnson
      The beeswax I've got is raw, unadulterated, and pure.
      I can't find the round cake of beeswax I used to use for stitching leather, and now I can't find a local supplier. Where did you buy beeswax?
      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

This may or may not help at your location, but the local farmers market here has a beekeeper who also sells beesways in lumps from thimble size to bricks.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I purchased my bees wax off ebay, cost about $5 a pound iirc. doo-all sells the rolls but it has some other products mixed in.
          re
          Herm Williams

Comment

I believe toilet bowl wax rings are made from beeswax.

Comment

Originally posted by 1smalljohnson
              Oh, and by the way, the warm beeswax DOES come off quite nicely from the work when rubbed with used toilet paper (from my TP filter).

1smalljohnson
              I can't believe this thread made it this far and no one thanked SmallJohnson for clarifying the used toilet paper use.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I find we're going more twds Beeswax (Dadant Bee supply)for the mess aspect.We shoot the chips off taps/dies with airblast during and after use.......oil vs waxy bits from an air quality standpoint really leans twd the wax.BW

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                  I can't believe this thread made it this far and no one thanked SmallJohnson for clarifying the used toilet paper use.
                  I second that. Let's just say my imagination started running a muck when I first read this. Please clarify.

Comment

I buy beeswax in candle form from my local organic/hippie food market.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron of Va
                      I think you are right, you get a good size chunk for a buck or two.

Comment

Hey Guys,

I have been using Beeswax as a cutting lube for about 15 years now, both raw, and with other oils added, on everything on the lathe, mill, bandsaw, and hand drill...it really works like a charm, handles heavy cuts with ease, stays put at the cutting location, and smells nice when it heats up.

The best trick I have found for using it is to melt it down in a dedicated Pyrex bowl (If you value your life then Don't take one of the wifes!) in the microwave in 20 second bursts until it melts as you stir it with a chopstick, then you can doctor it for different cutting jobs by adding more or less coconut oil, olive oil, or grapeseed oil to the mix to make it thin and spread better for light application (for milling larger surfaces and the like), then you can cast it into bars, or as I like to do, pour it into empty plastic deodorant sticks.

This works especially well since it keeps the wax covered and clean, keeps your fingers away from the cutter or blade when applying it, and you just turn the dial at the bottom to dispense more as needed. I made up a whole batch of them and just keep one at each of the machines. When they run out you can just cast some more wax into the same sticks or make new ones cheap if the old ones see hard use.

Cheers,
                        Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by DanGunit
                          Hey Guys,

I have been using Beeswax as a cutting lube for about 15 years now, both raw, and with other oils added, on everything on the lathe, mill, bandsaw, and hand drill...it really works like a charm, handles heavy cuts with ease, stays put at the cutting location, and smells nice when it heats up.

The best trick I have found for using it is to melt it down in a dedicated Pyrex bowl (If you value your life then Don't take one of the wifes!) in the microwave in 20 second bursts until it melts as you stir it with a chopstick, then you can doctor it for different cutting jobs by adding more or less coconut oil, olive oil, or grapeseed oil to the mix to make it thin and spread better for light application (for milling larger surfaces and the like), then you can cast it into bars, or as I like to do, pour it into empty plastic deodorant sticks.

This works especially well since it keeps the wax covered and clean, keeps your fingers away from the cutter or blade when applying it, and you just turn the dial at the bottom to dispense more as needed. I made up a whole batch of them and just keep one at each of the machines. When they run out you can just cast some more wax into the same sticks or make new ones cheap if the old ones see hard use.

Cheers,
                          Daniel
                          cool deal, you have it down.

Comment

is this a fact ? ? ? ? ?

Comment

That's just amazing. And then to think that the paper for cleaning off the residue is right next to it too.
                              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X