Can an admin enable polls please? it would be helpfull.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RKW
    • Jun 2007

This has got to be a first. Nearly everyone is voting to not have polls. What gives here? If it were that easy to vote on things we could get rid of OT posts altogether.

Why are so many of you expecting any poll to be OT and such a bad thing?
    It is a quick and clear way to get an answer on something without all the banter and side tracks that seems to always happen. Someone asks a very direct and specific question, next thing you know someone is re-engineering your whole project ... all too common. Polls would force anyone taking the time to pick something from a fixed list. Discussion can be great ... but sometimes you really just want an answer.
    "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

• Too_Many_Tools

Originally posted by Waterlogged
      Please do not turn on polls unless a new category is created for "OT" posts. There is already too much wasted bandwidth on this forum.
      It think this is a good idea.

Members can post what they want.

Members can read what they want.

The Mods can move a topic if they feel the rare need.

And it results in making little extra work for the Mods..they are too busy already.

Hmm...maybe we should take a poll on the idea. ;<)

TMT

Comment

• Too_Many_Tools

Originally posted by oldbikerdude37
        I want polls or I will start posting left wing crap like TMT 100 times a day.

oh boy here we go.

Refreshing...a moment of honesty.

LOL...got something against free speech?

Anything I post is clearly noted as OT..off topic.

Anything that I think is on topic is clearly shown in the title because when one uses the search engine the title is what you have to go on.

I assume as mature adults each of us have the self control to not click on and participate in OT discussions if we do not like them.

In my own case, I learn much from many of the OT topics others post. The ones that do not offer value, I quickly ignore.

If your wanting polls is an thinly veiled attempt to use group pressure to discourage postings that you disagree with, I am disappointed.

We all learn more when information is exchanged freely without censorship...that pesky "Freedom of Speech"..thing you know..it works.

If you feel more confortable in a censored site, I suggest the Practical Machinist site where the content is censored according to what the price of Harbor Freight divining rods from China are at the moment.

From what I see, HSM works and I consider a large part of that credit is owed to the mods by allowing it to work.

TMT

Comment

• Too_Many_Tools

Originally posted by RKW
          This has got to be a first. Nearly everyone is voting to not have polls. What gives here? If it were that easy to vote on things we could get rid of OT posts altogether.

It is a quick and clear way to get an answer on something without all the banter and side tracks that seems to always happen. Someone asks a very direct and specific question, next thing you know someone is re-engineering your whole project ... all too common. Polls would force anyone taking the time to pick something from a fixed list. Discussion can be great ... but sometimes you really just want an answer.

Hmm...could you discuss further how a poll will one a specific answer to a specific question faster?

Thanks

TMT

Comment

• Too_Many_Tools

Originally posted by oldbikerdude37
            I run a forum way bigger than this one and we can post a poll.

MR bullis prease add the simple poll feature, if you need to know how its done im sure many of us can tell you. Its just a click box.

What's the name of that forum?

Link please.

TMT

Comment

• dp
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RKW
              Polls would force anyone taking the time to pick something from a fixed list. Discussion can be great ... but sometimes you really just want an answer.
              Polls don't prevent discussion - they're thread starters like any post.

Comment

• Mcgyver
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                Anything I post is clearly noted as OT..off topic.
                on that we agree.
                located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• lazlo
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                  What's the name of that forum?

Link please.

TMT
                  It's HMEM. Oldbikerdude37 is TattooMike68 "in disguise".

He comes here to cause as much unrest as possible.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• Too_Many_Tools

Originally posted by lazlo

He comes here to cause as much unrest as possible.
                    Thanks for the heads up.

Hmm...some people like to visit competing websites in attempt to poison them so their websites benefit.

I have found several regulars from PM in disguise attempting it here.

TMT

Comment

• oldbikerdude37

Originally posted by RKW

well said.

Comment

• oldbikerdude37

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                        you made the site? you're tattoo mike? I thought that was Rick's site?

....and why the name change?.....and why'd you stop the incognito?

Down with poles I say, except the brass ones
                        I set it up HSEM to start with.

I was banned here because I said I wont ride on a plane with stinking Muslims.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                          • May 2006

LOL, That explains allot!

Comment

• rockrat
                            • Jun 2003

Rock, if that's what the polls were like, I'd be all for it. But you just know it's going to turn into "what do you do when it's hot out?" and "why do you think my plastic comb broke?"
                            Yea, it will probably get abused. I dont mind a little ot but even I think that lately the ot posts quantity has been a bit over the top.

rock~
                            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Working...
                            X