A Versatile Dividing Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Circlip
    Used to be called "Hammerite" but then the British company that manufactured it was taken over by an American one and the product deteriorated.
    Hammerite always was, and still is, Made in USA by MasterChem. They're still in business -- I just bought a gallon of Hammerite silver flake.

It's much, much more durable than Rustoleum Hammerite. The guys on PracticalMachinist (Daryl Bane in particular) turned me on to it.

http://www.masterchem.com/masterchem...008c05d103RCRD
    Last edited by lazlo; 08-26-2010, 09:30 AM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

To clarify - US Hammerite seems to be different to that in other territories.

Our UK Hammerite was originally produced by "Finnegan's" in Northumberland, which sold out to ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries).

This Hammerite is sold in many countries but not apparently the USA :-

http://www.hammerite.com/

Maybe a trademark issue ??

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington
        This Hammerite is sold in many countries but not apparently the USA :-

That's MasterChem's trademark, and it's on the gallon of Hammerite Grey I have. It's definitely made and sold in the US. The container says:

"Masterchem Industries, Inc. Made in USA."
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Admittedly similar, but not quite the same?

From your Masterchem link:

Cheers

Last edited by Barrington; 08-26-2010, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Fred your my newest guru. Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

The plot thickens... from the Hammerite 'legal' page:-

http://www.hammerite.com/legal.html

Please note that this website is operated by Hammerite Products Ltd, a subsidiary of ICI PLC and relates to HAMMERITE products used and sold globally except North America. In North America, HAMMERITE products are sold by Masterchem Inc. and not Hammerite Products Ltd.
              Cheers

Comment

The plot thickens... from the Hammerite 'legal' page:-

http://www.hammerite.com/legal.html
                Wow, that's weird. Does your Hammerite have glass flakes like ours does?
                I'll see if I can find both MSDS's...

Comment

The plot thickens....
                  I wish the paint would.

They reformulated it some years ago and it's got nowhere near the coverage and opacity it used to have.
                  Paul Compton
                  www.morini-mania.co.uk
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

This is probably the fastest thread hijacking in the history of HSM. And it was a great thread while it lasted.

Comment

Fred,
                      That is quite a beautiful piece of work. I checked out Martin Models website. Can you explain which parts you ordered? I looked at the list and there are quite a few options if you will on what to get. Do you know how many hours you have into it? I see you're in my neck of the woods. I purchased a couple ER nuts for a chuck I'm making. Dang things are in metric threads. I should have known. I like the ER collet setup especially on your DH.

Dale

Comment

Can you explain which parts you ordered?
                        Looking at the parts page listings, http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools-...04-18-2010.pdf , there are only three items (castings) for the VDH offered. They are VDH1 ($35), the main body casting, VDH2 ($10), a casting for the micro adjustment/indirect dividing apparatus and the optional VDH3 ($35) tailstock casting. Plans ARE NOT provided with the castings. The plans are in the Geo. Thomas book, Workshop Techniques, along with plans for other devices. The book is $60 with the purchase of the castings.

The VDH does direct and indirect indexing like most semi-universal dividing heads. However, using the micro-adjustment, it also does full differential dividing, which means any number of divisions (within reason ) can be done, such as 'odd' prime numbers IE: 51 or 91 or the highly sought after 127. The unit profile is much smaller than a typical dividing head, lending itself well to use on a lathe or smaller mill.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Pherdie
                          Looking at the parts page listings, http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools-...04-18-2010.pdf , there are only three items (castings) for the VDH offered. They are VDH1 ($35), the main body casting, VDH2 ($10), a casting for the micro adjustment/indirect dividing apparatus and the optional VDH3 ($35) tailstock casting. Plans ARE NOT provided with the castings. The plans are in the Geo. Thomas book, Workshop Techniques, along with plans for other devices. The book is $60 with the purchase of the castings.

The VDH does direct and indirect indexing like most semi-universal dividing heads. However, using the micro-adjustment, it also does full differential dividing, which means any number of divisions (within reason ) can be done, such as 'odd' prime numbers IE: 51 or 91 or the highly sought after 127. The unit profile is much smaller than a typical dividing head, lending itself well to use on a lathe or smaller mill.

Fred
                          Guess I didn't look close enough. If it isn't too much trouble can you give some examples of other projects from the Workshop Techniques book? For $60 I want to make sure it has other things I would be interested in.

Dale

Comment

Dale,
                            Workshop Techniques deals with the building of the Universal Pillar tool and the Versatile dividing head. ISBN. 1 85761 106 3.

Another of G.H. Thomas's books is, "The model engineers workshop manual" ISBN. 1 85761 000 8, This has a wide range of projects from center height guages to retracting lathe tool holders. While the book leans heavily towards Myford lathes, Pretty well all of them can be redesigned to fit whatever brand of lathe you own.. The book also goes into a large variety of different machining process's like taper turning, reaming, parting off ect. Not only the how but the why it should be done a certain way. Both books can be ordered from Tee Publishing in the U.K. (goggle them) at a savings over them obtained here. Shipping from the U.K. is expensive so it's far better to order both books togeather. If I had to chose the best book I own that's machining related, this would be the one for sure.

Pete

Comment

So all of the gears and dividing plates and hardware has to be bought elsewhere? Does one need a mill to build it? I fell in love with this tool from day one and I want one.
                              How much ddoes it wind up costing to build?

Comment

The finished product looks like they are running a worm on a straight gear and not on a correct worm gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X