A Versatile Dividing Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Versatile Dividing Head

I've always admired George Thomas' Versatile Dividing Head (VDH) and since Gary Martin at Martin Models has started offering castings for the project, as well as the corresponding book, Workshop Techniques, I decided to take on the task. In the process, I have come to quite admire Mr. Thomas and his brilliantly conceived and executed projects. They are also incredibly well documented for construction.

While I'm sure my rendition is nothing special in comparison to the many VDHs made over the years, I share my effort here, if for no other reason than to combat another "OT" thread! The unit is pictured with an ER-32 collet chuck installed. I made my own gears based on project notes with a little help from Ivan Law's great book, Gears and Gear Cutting. I've yet to complete the tailstock (a casting is also available from Martin Models).

Fred

Last edited by Pherdie; 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM.

A beautiful piece of work Fred

Tim

Comment

+1

+1

Very much so!!

Beautifully rendered - a great tool and show-piece too!

Comment

The castings are great - I'd just buy the castings and make the rest up as I go along, for the challenge. What's that paint called that makes that effect when it dries? See how it alternates in gray and dark-gray shades, and looks like it's two different liquids separating from one another?

Comment

What's that paint called that makes that effect when it dries?
          Rustoleum Hammered (purchased at Home Depot)

Comment

Beutifull Job.

Did you purcase a ER spindle or just the nut?

Goerges books are a great read, he was a profesional tool make i believe and it shows in his attention to detail.

Steve Larner

Comment

Pherdie,
              Very nice job on a complicated project. I'd agree 100% about George's books and the way he writes up a project. Mcgyvers cut knurling tool is written just as well too. It's a rare person that has the experience, tooling, and the ability to write projects up as those two authors do.

Pete

Comment

Did you purc(h)ase a ER spindle or just the nut?
                The spindle has a straight 3/4" thru hole. per design specs. Shown inserted is a purchased ER-32 collet chuck w/ an integral 3/4" straight shaft.

Fred

Comment

That's really nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Pherdie
                    Rustoleum Hammered (purchased at Home Depot)
                    A wrinkle finish paint would really set it off nicely.
                    Paul Compton
                    www.morini-mania.co.uk
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Originally posted by Pherdie
                      The spindle has a straight 3/4" thru hole. per design specs. Shown inserted is a purchased ER-32 collet chuck w/ an integral 3/4" straight shaft.

Fred
                      Thanks for Info

Did you ream bore first or fit to the collet shaft?

Steve Larner

Comment

Gorgeous! While everyone else was arguing about the airspeed of an African swallow, you're quietly off building a work of art
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Holy smokes Fred, nice work! Nice attn to detail. This beats the onslaught of OT's any day, thanks for sharing.

ME

Comment

Did you ream bore first or fit to the collet shaft?
                            Good question. Final sizing of the bore of the spindle was by reaming which as we all know usually results in a close, but slightly oversize bore. You then use the setscrews on the forward part of the spindle for final adjustment. This allows for easy and fairly accurate adaptation of a number of differing arbors and adapters.

As a side note, I had a long conversation with Gary Martin when I ordered the castings. Gary mentioned that several foundries in his area had recently closed down and that he was concerned about being able to continue to deliver castings. Gary said he refuses to have the castings made in China/Taiwan due to their dubious quality.

Thanks for all your kind words,

Fred

Comment

Superb execution of a proven design from one of our engineering "Gurus".

What's that paint called that makes that effect when it dries?
                              Used to be called "Hammerite" but then the British company that manufactured it was taken over by an American one and the product deteriorated. Probably and accountant thing.

Regards Ian.
                              You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X