Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chuck up large drill tu turn down shank

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • chuck up large drill tu turn down shank

    could someone be kind enough to explain how i can put a large drill in the chuck of my lathe to turn down the shank i have tried everything i can think of but i cannot get it to run true even with a dead center in the tailstock thanks

  • #2
    We use Jacobs Rubber Flex collets when we do this at work. They work great, have a wide working range, and run very true. And because of the multiple teeth that the collets have they grip well. Of course, you need a Jacobs collet chuck to use the collets.
    Jonathan P.

    Comment


    • #3
      how large is your drill bit ? how big is the thru hole in your lathe ? three jaw or four jaw chuck ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Easy when you know how-----

        Take a piece of round aluminium bar, about 3/8"" bigger than the drill you want to hold and about 3 to 5 times as long as the diameter of the drill, Hold in 3 jaw, mark where it is, eg centre punch it where no 1 jaw holds it, drill it a bit smaller than the size of drill you want to hold, bore it to the size of the drill you want to work on,( the nearer the better, but you do not need perfection) remove from chuck, cut it through lengthways in one place with a hacksaw in a position where it wont be under a chuck jaw, replace bushing in chuck with mark in same place as before, slide drill into bush, gently tighten chuck, put tailstock centre in end of drill, check runout with dial gauge on shank, if acceptable tighten chuck firmly, recheck and if still acceptable then go to it, if not then turn the bushing slightly in the chuck until acceptable results happen, it may take a couple of tries, Hope this helps David Powell.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by davidh
          how large is your drill bit ? how big is the thru hole in your lathe ? three jaw or four jaw chuck ?
          the drill would be say 1 inch i have a south bend 9 inch model A with either a 3 jaw or four jaw available i believe the trough hole is 3/4

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by David Powell
            Take a piece of round aluminium bar, about 3/8"" bigger than the drill you want to hold and about 3 to 5 times as long as the diameter of the drill, Hold in 3 jaw, mark where it is, eg centre punch it where no 1 jaw holds it, drill it a bit smaller than the size of drill you want to hold, bore it to the size of the drill you want to work on,( the nearer the better, but you do not need perfection) remove from chuck, cut it through lengthways in one place with a hacksaw in a position where it wont be under a chuck jaw, replace bushing in chuck with mark in same place as before, slide drill into bush, gently tighten chuck, put tailstock centre in end of drill, check runout with dial gauge on shank, if acceptable tighten chuck firmly, recheck and if still acceptable then go to it, if not then turn the bushing slightly in the chuck until acceptable results happen, it may take a couple of tries, Hope this helps David Powell.
            thanks that seems like the answer to my problem i,ll have a go at it

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by japcas
              We use Jacobs Rubber Flex collets when we do this at work. They work great, have a wide working range, and run very true. And because of the multiple teeth that the collets have they grip well. Of course, you need a Jacobs collet chuck to use the collets.
              thanks for replying i am learning new stuff all the time jack

              Comment

              Working...
              X