OT - Yahoo Probelms on Dialup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Yahoo Probelms on Dialup?

Over the last few months, I have been seeing some strange behavior on Yahoo.

When I attempt to click and load a page on their news site...it loads and then the message "Internet Explorer unable to load "...ulr of the page clicked on..." and then "Operation aborted".

When I click on the message box to get rid of it, the page that was just loaded stays....or maybe reloads.

Anyone else on dialup (24K-42K) seeing this type of behavior?

I *think* it is because of one or more items taking too long to load..I suspect ads.

TMT

You are not by your self.I have the same problem.I think you are right about the ads.(27k here)

Comment

Originally posted by OKChipmaker
      You are not by your self.I have the same problem.I think you are right about the ads.(27k here)
      Thanks for responding.

I too suspect the ads.

I haven't asked Yahoo but in the past questions seem to go in the old dark hole never to be answered.

Are you seeing this behavior on other sites?

TMT

Comment

It's definitely the ads and the fact that your line is slow. Nothing for it but to try to get a high speed setup.

I still have the dialup number on my computer for times when the DSL line is down in my rural area. It's nearly impossible even to get on this site. Anything with lots of ads like PM, say, is impossible. In fact, I have to wait for PM to load even with a 6MB (nominal) line.

Whatever you do, stay away from HughesNet. Too expensive per MB.

Comment

Its not just on this site.PM is allmost impossible and several outhers as well.
          What is real fun is when Windows sends a update. It allmost locks every thing else out,however if I try to stop useing it and just let it load the IP cuts the phone connection for lack of use,then it starts all over the next time.

Comment

Give some thought to the ISP who might be artificially slowing things down to force a DSL on you. I'm on dialup through a locally owned ISP and experience none of the problems you guys speak of. 4KB/s average. You do have your flash players turned off, eh?

Ya, the updates. Drove me nuts too. I guess you should ask yourself if you really need Windows... I also found that I could download just as much per month with dialup as I could with HughesNet at 1/4 the price.
            Last edited by Lodsb; 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lodsb
              Give some thought to the ISP who might be artificially slowing things down to force a DSL on you. I'm on dialup through a locally owned ISP and experience none of the problems you guys speak of. 4KB/s average. You do have your flash players turned off, eh?

Ya, the updates. Drove me nuts too. I guess you should ask yourself if you really need Windows... I also found that I could download just as much per month with dialup as I could with HughesNet at 1/4 the price.
              You make a very good point...and that is exactly what is happening.

There are a number of indications that ISPs are trying hard to push dialup users on to a more expensive product.

What I do not understand is the behavior of the users on broadband...they are sitting like sheep allowing their ISPs to throttle back on bandwidth while they pay full price.

Would they pay for ten gallons worth of gas and be happy getting only five gallons?

The basic problem is that the infrastructure needs to be upgraded...and the companies don't want to spend the money.

TMT

Comment

Another related question...I have several Yahoo email accounts and they all load very slowly...anyone else seeing this?

TMT

Comment

Working...
                X