Bronze bearing source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronze bearing source

Anyone know of a source for bronze bearing material? Onlinemetals has 39" for $33, but I don't need 37 of those inches

OD: 0.878" pressed fit
    ID: 0.75" honed to fit
    LOA" 1.377" but not critical give or take

I'm hoping to take the chatter out of my old Sears power hacksaw.

I'd look for a bushing on Ebay that was close and machine to fit as needed.

Comment

Enco 325-717 oilite for $1.23?
      http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
      Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

....or the 327-8091 after looking at what you are using it for a bit closer.
        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Get a hard bronze bushing that's oversize OD and machine to suit. The ones I have here are .750 ID 1.0015 OD by 2.5 long. You should find them locally at any power transmission/bearing supply place, like Applied Industrial Tech.

Also they can get bushing stock in 13" lengths, I think.

TC

Comment

Looking for oilite bronze? McMaster-Carr has it. Both actual bushings and oil impregnated sintered bronze bar stock.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Dennis

I have a Bronze bushing .750 bore, 1.00 Diameter 1.875 long. This would allow you to leave a thrust face on one side.
              I am in Kirkland and because we have a mutual friend the price would be right.
              Send me a PM if this would do the trick.

Pete

Comment

Dennis

I have a Bronze bushing .750 bore, 1.00 Diameter 1.875 long. This would allow you to leave a thrust face on one side.

Pete

Oops a double post.
                Last edited by Stepside; 08-28-2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside
                  Dennis

Pete
                  Wow - that will work! And I just saw that mutual friend last weekend, in fact. I even got a movie of him squeezing a bag fulla cats

PM on the way.

Comment

I turned out a temporary bushing from brass, put a new blade on the saw, and broke it in two strokes! Since it was the last blade, I've decided I should relax, have a beer, and order some new blades.

Comment

If you need more Dennis let me know and I will send you a piece of that "harder than the hobs of hell" bronze that I was cutting for you when you were here. Too bad it took more than an hour to cut through it using the shaper. It just sneered at the band saw.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Wow!!

Originally posted by dp
                        I turned out a temporary bushing from brass, put a new blade on the saw, and broke it in two strokes! Since it was the last blade, I've decided I should relax, have a beer, and order some new blades.
                        Wow Dennis!!

If that blade was HSS or bi-metal, breaking it would have taken some doing.

Do you have a movable/adjustable weight on the top of the reciprocating arm? If so, was it "too heavy"?

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                          Wow Dennis!!

If that blade was HSS or bi-metal, breaking it would have taken some doing.

Do you have a movable/adjustable weight on the top of the reciprocating arm? If so, was it "too heavy"?
                          The part was a 1.5" 1018 round and it shifted in the clamp. Kabang!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                            If you need more Dennis let me know and I will send you a piece of that "harder than the hobs of hell" bronze that I was cutting for you when you were here. Too bad it took more than an hour to cut through it using the shaper. It just sneered at the band saw.
                            That is some amazing metal - I fear using it as a bearing would result in the shaft being reduced to dust.

Comment

Another location for various sized bronze bearings/bushings is Ag suppliers. Not so much the John Deere/Case/Cat/etc. places (their bearings only fit their machines and unless you befriend the parts guy, they need a part number to look anything up!), but Tractor Supply/Princess Auto and some of the short line dealers that carry most standard bearings and bushings. As mentioned, there is usually some machining involved to get the size you need, but it's a start.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X