Speaking of snakes and lathes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of snakes and lathes.....

I decided not to highjack the other post! Was out in the shop today putting my Sheldon lathe back together (paint job, checking, etc.) and was trying to put one of the pulleys back on, thought a little help with a pry bar would do it.

Made a quick look around for the pry bar, thought I saw it on my bench about 5 feet away- and then it moved! A large bull snake was crawling across the top of my bench! (Glad I looked before I grabbed it!)

I didn't want to hurt it but he didn't know that- I was hoping to use a pole I had to lift him at the middle and take him outside, which did not work at all and resulted in him striking at me like a cobra (albeit without fangs)!

Took some doing but finally persuaded him that we would both be happier if he was outside my shop instead of inside. SHEESH!

Picture my three car garage as three boxes; [1,2,3]. I was in box 3 facing the wall of box 3 (as opposed to facing box 1), milling an 8" faceplate with 12 slots in it, when suddenly there were ruffling noises comming from box 1! I ignored them at first thinking it was the wind or maybe someone else at the house, but they got louder and closer. It was a giant raccoon the size of a full black garbage bag; ran inside, got some mops, and chased it away.

Could you imagine what kind of disaster may have ensued if it had attacked me due to the machining noises? Or perhaps another time when I was using the feed on the lathe real close to the chuck, if a moth flew into my shirt/face/pants/ear/nose?

Comment

Originally posted by toolmaker76
      I decided not to highjack the other post! Was out in the shop today putting my Sheldon lathe back together (paint job, checking, etc.) and was trying to put one of the pulleys back on, thought a little help with a pry bar would do it.

Made a quick look around for the pry bar, thought I saw it on my bench about 5 feet away- and then it moved! A large bull snake was crawling across the top of my bench! (Glad I looked before I grabbed it!)

I didn't want to hurt it but he didn't know that- I was hoping to use a pole I had to lift him at the middle and take him outside, which did not work at all and resulted in him striking at me like a cobra (albeit without fangs)!

Took some doing but finally persuaded him that we would both be happier if he was outside my shop instead of inside. SHEESH!

There are NO snakes whatsoever in New Zealand -not even in the Zoos!

NzOldun

Comment

Have a bull mastiff my daughter always (lovingly) called 'gorilla face', was in the shop with the radio on, and he was acting kind of strange, growling and semi-barking. Stupidly, I told him to lay down and then ignored him.
        Next morning I found that most of the tools in my truck were gone....

edit, back to snakes, as a kid my brother and I were climbing cliffs out west, pulled myself up to a ledge, legs hanging down and bent over at the waist, when I looked down and noticed that I was laying ON a rattlesnake. think the only thing that kept me from being bit was that is was pretty cold that day.

Another time, we were climbing cliffs, just pulled my head level with a ledge, and heard a strange 'clack clack' it noise, was a small family of barn owls clacking their beaks while deciding whether they wanted attack my nose.
        I still have physical scars from that encounter
        Last edited by kendall; 08-29-2010, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Reginald the rat snake takes care of the mice in my workshop and Gertrude the garter snake services my yard storage building.

Reginald is a big black rat snake but Gertrude is pretty slim and can probably only take the baby mice.
          "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Shop Snake

I know I have a shop snake as I have seen its droppings and last year I found a black snake skin about 5 feet long. I can truely say I have never seen any evidence of a mouse or othe other rodent in my shop!
            Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

When I was in elementary school I would go to church camp in the summer. One year one of the cabin counselors for the boys found a black snake. Well the cabins were on a grade making one side about 5 to 6 feet off the ground. He found a knot hole in the floor of one of the girl's cabins and "helped" the black snake find its way into the cabin. Quite a sight to see all the girls running out of the cabin.

Comment

Just saw a Copperhead going across my front porch the otherday.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

When I was a kid back in the fourties/fifties I lived on a big lake up north with a sawmill at the outlet end of the lake.(Powered by a water turbine). Some of the white pine that was floated down the lake was too big for the 54" circular saw, so those logs were left flaoting in the millpond. The mill pond was about an eighth of a mile wide, and if you were quick, you could run all the way to the other side on these floating logs. They wouldn't hold you if you stood still, but if you ran quick enough (in bathing suits of course) they would just have enough floatation to let you jump from log to log and make it to the other side. There were enormous black watersnakes (about 4 to 5 foot long and as big in diameter as a young boys wrist) that liked to sun themselves on these same logs---and they were about the same colour as the logs were. Let me tell you---There is nothing in this world quite like running 20 miles an hour across a bunch of barely floating logs, in your bare feet, and stepping on a very pissed off big snake. They would rear up like a Cobra and strike at your bare legs. They weren't poisonous, but the damn things could bite like a dog!!! It only took one instance of that happening in mid July, and your heart wouldn't slow down to its normal rate untill sometime in mid October!!!
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                    Just saw a Copperhead going across my front porch the otherday.

I think I have at least half the worlds population of Copperheads on my farm here in Tn! No kidding the darn things are everywhere, I never pickup anything in the yard without kicking it first and I would not dare go into my old shed during warm weather.

Comment

About 6 weeks ago I was going down steps into the garage, barefoot, when I spotted a juvenile pacific rattler between me and the car.....He was only ~ 14" long, but they can still put a hurtin' on ya.....Temp. was about 60° F and the cool concrete floor meant he'd be moving slow, but I wasn't taking any chances.....I hit the door opener button and grabbed a broom.....He headed under the car and was going for the boxes and misc. junk against the wall when I swept him out side.....He didn't coil or try to strike until I went after him with the shovel.....
                      In the 30 years I've lived here I've seen maybe 6 rattlers, and plenty of non-venomous cousins.....I like the gopher and garter snakes for their pest control services, but the fangers have to go.....

Jim

Comment

couple of weeks ago,I was going past my scrap iron pile and was gonna step over something when I thought there was a pile of dog crap I'd step in.Turned out to be a 2ft copperhead coiled up. Given the choice,I'd rather cleaned my shoes than my shorts!

Comment

Originally posted by NzOldun
                          There are NO snakes whatsoever in New Zealand -not even in the Zoos!

NzOldun
                          Well, except the ones that periodically escape from containers from Oz to the tune of front page headlines as the population fears a snake plague of possum proportion!!! Though I suspect some of those escapees have more in common with Big-foot than real snakes. Gotta love a country with no snakes

Comment

Originally posted by radkins
                            I think I have at least half the worlds population of Copperheads on my farm here in Tn! No kidding the darn things are everywhere, I never pickup anything in the yard without kicking it first and I would not dare go into my old shed during warm weather.
                            Hmm. Aren't there churches out that way that want those things? I'll stick with the ones that preach lambs and whales.
                            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

What amazed me was the striking distance that thing had! I had a long stick trying to persuade it off my bench and toward the door- with me standing about 6 feet away. It struck twice quicker than I could expect it and although I was out of range it easily halved the distance between us!

Back out there today- had a couple of extension cords that nearly gave me a heart attack , but no snake today.

Comment

Working...
                              X