Screw in A Roll Pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw in A Roll Pin

I have a Grizzly G0463 x3 mill that has a screw in what looks like a roll pin. On the Parts Breakdown I see part number 125 which it is stated that this is a roll pin. There are two of these, one on the right and one on the left slide plates.
    Why are the screws there and what do they do?
    Thanks,
    Jack

Originally posted by Jack772
    I have a Grizzly G0463 x3 mill that has a screw in what looks like a roll pin. On the Parts Breakdown I see part number 125 which it is stated that this is a roll pin. There are two of these, one on the right and one on the left slide plates.
    Why are the screws there and what do they do?
    Thanks,
    Jack
    Looks to me like those are present to keep the head fixed at 0deg rotation (perpendicular to the table) and would be removed to perform operations with the head rotated to one side or the other.

If your column is either properly aligned with the table from the factory (heh, not likely) or you've shimmed/scraped it to be perpendicular to the table X- and Y-axis, AND the factory drilled/tapped the alignment holes with the head properly aligned in rotation, then this feature makes it dead-simple to realign your head after doing something with it rotated off-axis.

-AG

Comment

"Taper" pin/s?

I haven't seen the book/manual referred to, but my guess is that it is not a "roll-pin" but is in fact a taper(ed) pin which is (taper-) reamed in position.

Taper pins are very accurate as regards "location" (and re-locating).

The screw is (probably) for withdrawing the taper pin.

Be careful that pin is not abused.

I have several of them on various work-heads on my grinders.

Comment

I have seen roll pins that I'd of sworn used a Allen head, but........
        What they were, were simple roll pins.

Comment

Working...
        X