This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, Idiot TV commercials

Just watched a stupid TV commercial (aren't they all stupid?)

The commercial depicts George Washington and the Continental Regulars charging the Red Coats in the revolutionary war...in 2010 Dodge Challengers.

Stupid, yes. It shows that Chrysler probably hasn't updated their technology in 234 years....Or....If they had used Dodge Challengers against a troupe of Red Coats, we'd all have bad teeth, and be serving "high tea" at 3:00PM every day.

If that's not bad enough, the same company goes on to compare their multi-displacement command engines in the Chrysler 300 to a sweaty, idiot, punch-drunk boxer... (actually, it's a good analogy, considering Chrysler hasn't worked the bugs out of the computer controlled multi-displacement scheme yet.)

What are these guys thinking? Are they the ones Ford fired for being stupid?
    Last edited by saltmine; 08-31-2010, 04:17 PM.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Heh have you seen the Geico car insurance commercial with the little piggy going whee whee whee all the way home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_G2zp-opg

Everytime I see it I think,were is my charcoal and BBQ sauce???
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I wear out mute buttons on tv remotes because of commercials.

Other than for the comic value of some commercials, I find absolutely no value in them.

I watch a lot of PBS for their quality shows...with almost NO commercials.

When I do watch one of the other networks, the numerous commercials just remind me how much I enjoy PBS.

Two suggestions...I once connected a Clapper to the mute button of my remote...when a commerical came on..Clap..Clap..the commercial was muted.

The kids loved it.

And since the volume of a commercial is almost always much louder than the program you are watching, you can wire a circuit based on relative volume settings that will automute a channel anytime a commercial comes on.

TMT

Comment

I don't watch TV but there are some excellent "viral" ads that the companies place on the internet only. They make internet commercials that they could never show on US TV and let them circulate online.

Office XP commercial

Last edited by Evan; 08-31-2010, 03:27 AM.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
          I wear out mute buttons on tv remotes because of commercials.

Other than for the comic value of some commercials, I find absolutely no value in them.
          TMT
          Why not just get a DVR? I hate commercials too, so now I don't watch them. My DVR has a 30 second jump ahead button, a couple of pushes and the commercials are behind me. I like to count the number of times I pushed the button so I can mentally calculate how many minutes of commercials I just avoided!!

Ed P

Comment

Originally posted by Ed P
            Why not just get a DVR? I hate commercials too, so now I don't watch them. My DVR has a 30 second jump ahead button, a couple of pushes and the commercials are behind me. I like to count the number of times I pushed the button so I can mentally calculate how many minutes of commercials I just avoided!!

Ed P
            For someone who watches on a regular basis that is a great idea.

For myself with a very sporadic schedule, it is just simpler to hit that old mute button...over and over and over again.

TMT

Comment

Don't get me wrong...I don't entirely hate commercials, when I lived in California, I worked in the production of several. Some, (actually, very few) are entertaining. Some are just plain stupid. I guess you have to play to the "nosebleed" seats too. I recall one commercial that caught the interest of "Mythbusters". They had a target drawn on the desert floor, and hauled a car up to about 5000 feet. Another identical car was driven, by remote control, across the target, while the first car was dropped. The idea was to demonstrate how fast (quick) the new car was in avoiding the falling sedan.

Knowing how hard it is to hit something on the ground, from a helicopter, I would have been more surprised if they had actually dropped the car on top of the other one....but they didn't....I guess that was the whole idea of the drop. Boy, I wish I had a job like the "Mythbusters" when I was working...it looks like it would have been a lot of fun.

I like the cat eating car commercial. Not being a cat fancier, and having had one damage the interior of one car, it strikes a sympathetic note. And I used to think Ford didn't build a car I'd like.
              Last edited by saltmine; 08-31-2010, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                Heh have you seen the Geico car insurance commercial with the little piggy going whee whee whee all the way home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_G2zp-opg

Everytime I see it I think,were is my charcoal and BBQ sauce???
                I kinda like the "little piggy going whee whee..." commercial. In fact that's about the only one of that series I like. ...no, there's also one about Abe Lincoln (unable to lie when his wife asks if a dress makes her butt look big )

But I like the Gecko and Cave man series better.

One of favorite series is the J G Wentworth "Get your cash now" series
                http://www.jgwentworth.com/about/advertising/
                I just like the smug expression on the narrator's face.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I just don't watch cable TV anymore and tell the door to door shaw guys to #$#@ off. $10 a month limited time offer? hah, its not worth the time id waste watching the damn thing. You'd have to pay me to watch cable TV.

Anything I would want to watch, I can download from the internet.. Without commericals, at a rate of about 5 mins download time per 23 mins of show I wanna watch. With such amazing groundbraking features like: Pause, And rewind! Even fast forward through the intro/extro I have seen 20 times allready.

After doing all that fast forwarding and lack of commericals, a 1/2 hour show, is only 20 mins long. Yes, thats right, after spending $60/month+ on cable, 1/3rd of your life watching it, is spent watching commericals.

Why is there no $100/month commerical free option?

Other advantages of not watching TV:
                  No reruns from the 90's of shows you have allready seen that ep of 19 times.
                  No 'Well, Its the best thing on right now' as you watch another god awful rerun of home improvement or somesuch trash waiting for the next show to come on.
                  No 'Aww, its a rerun, I was hopeing it was gonna be the newest ep of this series'
                  No 'AWW DAMNIT ITS 9:00 IM MISSING MY FAV SHOW!!!' (scheduling my life around the idiot box? no thanks)
                  No moron executive saying you can no longer watch X because it did'nt get high enough ratings. Or have to stay up till 2am to watch it.

I know people who have watched shows religiously and then download the series.. And they find out that they havent even seen half the eps.. Yet every ep they have seen, they have seen at least 5 times! They don't even air full series on TV most of the time.

Great example: the simpsons. 20 YEARS. 20 goddamn YEARS of eps.
                  over 400eps
                  Yet how many times have you seen the same ep? I have likey watched maybe 100 eps of simpsons when I had cable tv, And I think iv only ever seen maybe 20~30 actual eps, rest where reruns of the 20~30 I had allready seen.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

My favorite Geico commercial is the one where they ask if an ex-gunnery sergeant makes a good therapist? Of course, having R.Lee Ermy play the part of the therapist makes it even funnier.

The Geico "cave man" was funny, at first, then it just got too stupid to watch. They should have dropped it sooner.

Some of the channels I end up watching, the programming is so bad, I actually look forward to the commercials. Yeah, that's right, over 150 channels in HD to watch, and nothing on. And people wonder why I sometimes watch cartoons.
                    Last edited by saltmine; 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by saltmine
                      My favorite Geico commercial is the one where they ask if an ex-gunnery sergeant makes a good therapist? Of course, having R.Lee Ermy play the part of the therapist makes it even funnier.

The Geico "cave man" was funny, at first, then it just got too stupid to watch. They should have dropped it sooner.

Some of the channels I end up watching, the programming is so bad, I actually look forward to the commercials. Yeah, that's right, over 150 channels in HD to watch, and nothing on. And people wonder why I sometimes watch cartoons.
                      I'm probably the only person to ever specifically record a commercial on DVR.
                      (The J G Wentworth one with the Vikings singing an Opera about 'getting your cash now)

A lot of the cave man ads were stupid, but the one I liked showed him on the psychiatrist's couch complaining, and she comments: "looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the rock this morning..."

What gets old tho, is seeing the same commercials over and over. I'm a big tennis fan, and the U S Open Series is sponsored by Olympus Pen camera. It's really a nicely done commercial, with a nice looking young lady, and other interesting scenery. But I'm sick of seeing it.

Being able to skip thru the commercials is great. I record all of those "How it's made..", "How do they do it..", "Ultimate Factory..", etc., etc. I never watch them live. Just wait til they're recorded, then I can easily skip the ads.

Actually though, I find the pop ups and ads on web sites more distracting and annoying than TV. Maybe it's just that I've gotten conditioned to accept the TV ads, as they've been there since I first saw a TV as a kid.
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

There was a commercial - I don't even remember what for - where a man on a psychiatrist's couch was explaining his problem. The shrink then turns to him and says something incomprehensible in a different language. The commercial was unremarkable except that my son-in-law and I were watching it together and he understood both sides of the conversation perfectly. The shrink was speaking Polish. Though my son-in-law was born in the USA, his parents are immigrants from Poland.

Oh, by the way, the shrink said: "We have to do something about this communication problem."
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

My daughter laughed so hard on the Wheee Wheee Wheee commercial that every time I see it I think of her now she is off to college. Love the Too tall Jones and therapist commercial. Hate the Jimmy Johnson Enzyte or whatever commercial....career too far in the tank type of train wreck-my gawd what have you done type of cringe. Any Bravo network commercial for "The D list", or "housewives of" or "Top Chef"....

I spent too much time laid up this summer, dropped the remote, could not get to it, had to watch a whole day of crap once.....
                          CCBW, MAH

Comment

Originally posted by spope14
                            I spent too much time laid up this summer, dropped the remote, could not get to it, had to watch a whole day of crap once.....
                            OMG! Scott,have you completed therapy yet?

If I had to watch a whole day of Bravo either the TV or myself would have ate a bullet
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by saltmine
                              Just watched a stupid TV commercial (aren't they all stupid?)

The commercial depicts George Washington and the Continental Regulars charging the Red Coats in the revolutionary war...in 2010 Dodge Challengers.

Stupid, yes. It shows that Chrysler probably hasn't updated their technology in 234 years....Or....If they had used Dodge Challengers against a troupe of Red Coats, we'd all have bad teeth, and be serving "high tea" at 3:00PM every day.

If that's not bad enough, the same company goes on to compare their multi-displacement command engines in the Chrysler 300 to a sweaty, idiot, punch-drunk boxer... (actually, it's a good analogy, considering Chrysler hasn't worked the bugs out of the computer controlled multi-displacement scheme yet.)

What are these guys thinking? Are they the ones Ford fired for being stupid?
                              Well, lets see:

A. You watched it. So they succeeded in geting you to watch.

B. You remember it. They succeeded here too.

C. You remember the brand name, "Chrysler" and the model "Dodge Challengers". This is called brand recognition. Or more generally, "branding". They succeeded here also.

D. You are talking about it to your friends (I assume we are friends here). They are actually getting more exposure here. They succeeded again.

Advertising agency: 4
                              Saltmine: 0

The fact is they got what they wanted from the commercial.

Disclaimer (or a claimer actually): I do work for an advertising agency which makes TV commercials (well informercials actually). I am a TV engineer, not an advertising exec. I do not approve of all their tactics, but the fact of the matter is, those tactics do work. By "work", I mean they do sell products. It is kind of like a machinist who makes a part. The part may work regardless of the material it is made from, steel, aluminum, plastic, etc. It may work with looser tolerances. In the end, it is the results that count. And if you have a product to sell, you may just want to consider using a TV commercial.
                              Paul A.
                              SE Texas

Make it fit.
                              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                              X