Outdoor sandblasting- your choice of media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor sandblasting- your choice of media

Guys, I wonder what media you actually use with your pressure pots when blasting outdoors. Do you even attempt to collect it for reusing?

Thank you.

P.S. I'm perfectly aware of all the health hazards, so please let's not discuss silicosis, etc. in this thread. I want to know what you actually use, even if it's not healthy, environmentally irresponsible or politically incorrect.
    Mike
    WI/IL border, USA

I use only garnet as I got a couple hundred pounds of it free. Sometimes I have small jobs where I can recover it, but many times I have to go outside and blast away and let the elements wash it away.

Second hand garnet still works pretty well, and I have a lot of that, too. Garnet is not appropriate for heavy blasting, of course, but for what I do it works very well.

One interesting thing - I'd found a fossil embedded in sand stone. I blasted it out of the sandstone and kept the harder fossil in tact. That was impressive. Using that as a foundation I then discovered if you place a large wet maple leaf on a concrete paver, you can blast a pretty nice image around the perimeter of the leaf. When it ages (around here that means it gathers moss) it preserves that image.

Comment

Since none of this stuff readily biodegrades whatever you use may stick around for a LONG time.

I generally use black beauty, but I also use a plastic ground cover so I don't have inches of the stuff left behind for months till it washes away.

My local tractor supply has 40/80 grit 50lbs on sale for $8

Comment

I like glass beads myself. Very nice finish.

Comment

I use crushed glass. Silicosis IS an issue to worry about and crushed glass isn't crystalline so it isn't a threat. I don't worry about cleaning it up, it's good for my driveway since it isn't paved.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Since nothing is supposed to go in your lungs but air.(respirator,air supplied hood)

I use plain ole silica or quartz sand,I like the quartz better since it cuts paint faster.$3.00 for 80lbs of play sand ain't bad.

Cleanup is a cheap blue tarp on the ground and as long as it doesn't get wet,you can screen it and reuse it.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Evan,
              could you please provide a link for the crushed glass ?

The few place I've seen it (or I thought it is what you describe)
              it was very expensive, too expensive to use only one time.

It sound's like the stuff you describe is different, and I would like to
              try some.

Comment

I buy it locally. It's a few dollars per bag. A link won't do any good as it is made locally in the next town. It's too expensive to ship something like this very far. Check with a local recycle center.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by digger_doug
                  Evan,
                  could you please provide a link for the crushed glass ?

The few place I've seen it (or I thought it is what you describe)
                  it was very expensive, too expensive to use only one time.

It sound's like the stuff you describe is different, and I would like to
                  try some.
                  Crushed glass is trucked around Western Canada by the super bee (8 or 10 axle truck) presumably from assorted recycling centers and glass shops. Princess Auto has bagged crushed glass that is competitive with their other blasting media. Any Auto supply that supports body work should be able to supply glass for blasting.
                  Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

I use play sand with my pressure washer. The Homedepot sells #500 for $33 or so. I mostly blast aluminum and concrete.
                    Last edited by ranger302; 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ranger302
                      I use play sand with my bressure washer. The Homedepot sells #500 for $33 or so. I mostly blast aluminum and concrete.
                      That will definitely require a good respirator.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                        That will definitely require a good respirator.

Not really, the water keeps the dust in check. After i am done i just wash all the sand away.

Comment

Originally posted by ranger302
                          I use play sand with my pressure washer. The Homedepot sells #500 for $33 or so. I mostly blast aluminum and concrete.
                          Hi Ranger,

What kind of setup do you have for injecting the sand into the pressure washer?

Brian
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I use a couple of cheap plastic traps, that I put down and then behind to the sides. Then you can clean it up for re use or adding it as fill to unpaved driveway.
                            I use black beauty for most stuff,as been stated from tractor supply or the local brickie and block mason joint. When they have it in stock.

And whether you like it or not
                            Originally posted by Evan
                            Silicosis IS an issue to worry about
                            and it should be mentioned every time a blasting question is asked.

In case you have forgotten, there are a lot of guests and lurkers that read these posting and may
                            1.NOT know about Silicosis!
                            2.Think it is of no consequence if you only do it on occasion.
                            3.Or what I was told by some idiot buying a pressure pot at HF after his wife, asked a couple of us in the general area what safety things he would need? Because when it comes to his safety he his stupid as road kill.
                            "they just want to sell all that safety crap, I don't need it, I will do it in short shots and hold my breath" is what he said to us

I told his wife when he is planning on doing it make sure his life insurance is paid up and take the kids to the mall for the afternoon. While he commits a slow and painful suicide!
                            Glen
                            Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                            I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
                              Hi Ranger,

What kind of setup do you have for injecting the sand into the pressure washer?

Brian

This is the blaster atachment.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2147_200442147

and this is the pressure washer.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5682_200355682

This setup fer me hase been VERY effective. Plus Northern is rite up the road from me so parts are quick to get.

Comment

Working...
                              X