Keyless chuck for mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyless chuck for mill

I need to buy a keyless chuck for my mill. I was looking at the Rohm chucks from Enco as I don't want to spend the big bucks on an Albrecht. I see the adapters are or can be quite pricey to use the chuck. What is best, choosing a J6 taper on the chuck and get an R8-J6 adapter or use the less expensive Straight-J6 adapter and go with a large size like 3/4? And one other question, do most people go with the 1/2" capacity so they can use down to a 1/32'' drill bit or the 5/8" and limit the lower range to 1/8".
    Thanks,
    schemer

p.s. It's my first mill

I got it handled...Ebay rules! I went with the 1/2" Rohm JT6 (brand new #20113) and found an adapter there brand new with 1 year warranty. Total cost $62.65 and that included shipping. That will get me going...
    Cheers,
    schemer

Comment

I use a 5/8 on my G0518. I have three, all bought through Sears as a replacement part for my drill press. They were $46 each. The only "bad" thing is that the one I got for the mill doesn't have a way to hold the chuck (e.g. - a spanner wrench hole) if the bit get's jammed too tight. So to get a stuck big bit out, you have to catch it in an unsportsman like manner with a pipe wrench and jog the mill backwards. I'd use the keyed chuck that came with the mill, but the keyless is real handy and will hold bits from 5/8" down to .040.
      Chris
      Merkel, Tx
      http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon67
        I use a 5/8 on my G0518. I have three, all bought through Sears as a replacement part for my drill press. They were $46 each. The only "bad" thing is that the one I got for the mill doesn't have a way to hold the chuck (e.g. - a spanner wrench hole) if the bit get's jammed too tight. So to get a stuck big bit out, you have to catch it in an unsportsman like manner with a pipe wrench and jog the mill backwards. I'd use the keyed chuck that came with the mill, but the keyless is real handy and will hold bits from 5/8" down to .040.
        You are using a drill chuck on a 1 HP Drum / Flap Sander? I guess you have a G0519 maybe...Anyhow, thanks for the info. Does Sears sell Jacobs chucks?
        Thanks,
        schemer

Comment

Strap wrenches are another choice---and one that won't mar your chuck like a pipe wrench---if you have a problem releasing a large drill.

Comment

You could probably drill some spanner wrench holes in a chuck that doesn't have any.

Comment

Working...
            X