Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People who neglect tools should be .........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who neglect tools should be .........

On Saturday I was at the Steam Era show at Milton Ont. Can.

For those that like this kind of thing there where about 15 full sized traction engines, most in steam, including a very large Fowler plowing engine, and maybe 10 more scale models, 1/4 and 1/3 scale, mostly in steam.

There where antique cars, old gas engines of every variety, tractors and other antique farm and industrial equipment.

There was also a small flee market with used equipment, mostly farm but there was a guy selling old lathes.

1 Myford Super 7 in good condition

1 70's or 80's vintage Southbend about 13 x 40" (squarish headstock not the older 9 and 10H models)

1 Craftsman 6" model

1 old (around 1900) lathe of 13 to 14" x 40ish size very good condition for it's age

and 1 old 9 " flat belt lathe, unknown make in pretty good condition looked like low usage

Now for the maddening part, it was raining most of the day and this equipment was out doors some of it sitting in the mud and you could literally see it rusting. There was no protective grease on the bare metal and nothing to cover it and keep the rail off.

What kind of idiot lets his equipment get damaged like that when he wants to sell it. Flogging is to good for this guy.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Here in Washington state there is the very old and once thriving town of Molson. It isn't quite a ghost town yet, but close. It has an outdoor museum that has quite a lot of rare hardware, mostly exposed to the harsh weather. http://www.ghosttownsusa.com/moalbum.htm

There are several hit 'n miss engines that have been picked over by looters and vandals and lay rusting. Last time I was there it looked like pretty much everything was beyond salvaging.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
      .................................................. ........................

What kind of idiot lets his equipment get damaged like that when he wants to sell it. Flogging is to good for this guy.

The plus side to this kind of behavior is it lowers the price for buyers.

A related example: my across-the-street neighbor constantly complains about the sad state of repair and the poor remodeling work the previous owner of his house did. I have to keep reminding him of what a bargain he got on a basically sound house. He only paid around half what the house would have brought if it was perfect.

Comment

For those that like this kind of thing there where about 15 full sized traction engines, most in steam, including a very large Fowler plowing engine, and maybe 10 more scale models, 1/4 and 1/3 scale, mostly in steam.

There where antique cars, old gas engines of every variety, tractors and other antique farm and industrial equipment.

There was also a small flee market with used equipment, mostly farm but there was a guy selling old lathes.

1 70's or 80's vintage Southbend about 13 x 40" (squarish headstock not the older 9 and 10H models)

1 Craftsman 6" model

1 old (around 1900) lathe of 13 to 14" x 40ish size very good condition for it's age

and 1 old 9 " flat belt lathe, unknown make in pretty good condition looked like low usage

Now for the maddening part, it was raining most of the day and this equipment was out doors some of it sitting in the mud and you could literally see it rusting. There was no protective grease on the bare metal and nothing to cover it and keep the rail off.

That's what resellers/flippers do....

He will wipe off what wipes off, wire brush the rest, spray some more paint on it and show up at the next show with his "Grandpa only used it on Sunday" rare one of kind Old "they don't make it like this any more" Iron...and likely raise his prices.

Never mind that rust never sleeps...and corrosion continues in all the machine's hidden locations.

Resellers do not care.

They are only in it for the money.

That is just one big reason why I made it a point to buy my used American iron from their original owners...who are much more likely to have given their machines some loving care.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by DR
          Not from what I have seen.

Prices at shows are never the bargains you will find local.

TMT

Comment

I was at the show, what a great collection......tsk tsk on the myford owner but it looked more like a few spots of surface rust than any big problem.

that minor infraction aside, I left just amazed at the collective effort there is in keeping the hundreds and hundreds of antique engines, tractors and traction engines in such fine form.

After seeing them live, the compulsion to model them is strong.....maybe a Titan or Rumely tractor....there were a lot of Rumely's, must have been a big seller it its time
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by DR

What is scrap metal going for now that is what it will be before long the way he treats it. All of this equipment would still be serviceable to someone in a small hobby/repair shop.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Pertty sad really when a can of LPS3 + a tarp can keep basicly all the rust off for $20. If it was me, id not even show up if rain was predicted. Or buy one of those 3 way surround canopy carpark deals.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

the sad truth is that the scrap metal industry has destroyed countless examples of engineering at its best, i work in a steelworkks that makes about 5Mt per annum so the machinery it has digested really offends, ive rescued most of my workshop from scrap bins! including rotary tables, surface plates, milling machines, lathes, milling cutters, ang i cant remember what else!
                  regards
                  mark

Comment

i have about 40 wood chisels ..find them at car boot sales for as little as 10 pence each ..
                    they are in the eye of the sellers "buggered"

in my eyes they are great .....they are rusty ..that wire brushes off
                    they have been used for stirring paint ..that comes off

they have been used for applying polyfiller and plaster and car body filler..that comes off on the wire brush

they have been used as a cold chisel........that is corrected on the surface grinder ..

then sharpen them up ..and they are good as new...and good to go.

all the best.markj

Comment

strange you mention woodworking tools, i picked up a really tidy 1 1/2" sorby paring chisel for abot 50p last sunday, i'd be lost without my sunday rummage session!
                      regards
                      mark

Comment

yep....

I see the same thing. Micrometers..... a few visible rust spots, but they are locked up solid.

Those folks keep the stuff in plastic tubs. When it rains, the tub gets water in it...... which is not dumped. or not dumped soon enough.

The same folks think every 1" 0.001 Starrett mic with scratched and worn steel anvils is a rare piece of super duper equipment. And, to the tool collector, who is never going to use it, but just "owns" it, I guess it is as good either way, working or not.

Those mics are a "drug on the market" anyhow.....

hey, a lot of those scrap sellers have no idea what they have, really, no idea how to use it, or even what it does, sometimes. They don't see "a little rust that wipes off" as affecting anything.

it's something for an out-of-work ditchdigger who finished the 3rd grade to do....... in between having bar fights that account for the 5 remaining teeth.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

None of my business

Here is the title of the OP:
                          "People who neglect tools should be ......... ".

Here is its text:

1 Craftsman 6" model

Is it really the business of anyone else but the owner of "abused??" tools as to how he treats (or "mistreats"?) those tools?

I think it isn't.

Saying whether you like it or not is probably OK, but contemplating what to do to cause the owner to comply with something in that regard against his wishes is "interfering".

I could not care less about how others use or treat their tools, but I do get less than pleased if any stick their nose in uninvited with me in that regard.

Comment

As for ruining perfectly good machinery there is no bigger offender than the US Federal Government.

A stroll though Government Liquidators website is an eye opener.

It must sit out and rust before they can sell it-

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=3582121

And Horizonal mills should be just that-horizonal-

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=3562489

Same for vertical mills so the taper gets good and pitted-

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...60&picNumber=4

Of course the more complex the machine,the more rust is needed-

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=3604332
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

His tools, his money. It is just a lump of metal that someone was paid to build. What happens to it doesn't concern me at all. I don't get sentimental about things and have never been one to give names to objects. I used to warn my computer customers not to give their computer a name because then they might start to think of it as a human and expect it to be reasonable. It is called anthropomorphizing the object by assigning it quasi human traits. Bad plan in my book. They are just machines and the only value they have is the utility they bring to me.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X