Band saw blade thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band saw blade thickness

I have an old 14" Delta band saw. Enco has Irwin Cobalt blades on sale for $32 but they are 0.035" Is that too thick for a 14" band saw?

BTW What brands of blades do you use?

Alex - Yes, too thick. The problem with thick blades on small wheels is they are prone to fatigue failures. The thinner blade may also use a bit less power; a plus for small bandsaws like your Delta and my Powermatic.

The .035 would probably work, but you might as well stick with the .025 or so thickness your saw wants. I buy bimetal blades from McMaster. Their prices are decent (probably less than $32 for a variable pitch bimetal for your saw) and shipping comes to little since I'll add it in with another order. Since the Delta has a more common blade size, you might find closeouts, Ebay deals, etc.
    PeteM
    Last edited by PeteM; 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Band Saw Blade

I have been running only 0.035" thick blades on my Delta band saw for years. I use Starrett brand blades and silver solder them with a lap joint. No problems.

JRW

Comment

I am only concern with the blade fatigue.
        I have 2 HP motor on my band saw. The motor produces more then enough torque to handle a thick blade.

Comment

I've successfully run .035 blades, TIG welded together, on my 4x6 horizontal only because I got the blade stock free. Not saying it's good practice but it can work.

Comment

Here's what I found:

WHEEL DIAMETER RECOMMENDED BLADE THICKNESS
            4-6 inches .014"
            6-8 inches .018"
            8-11 inches .020"
            11-18 inches .025"
            18-24 inches .032"
            24-30 inches .035"
            30 inches and over
            .042", .050", .063"
            AlexK
            Last edited by AlexK; 09-08-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X