I am tired of Thieves on Ebay....LOOK OUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am tired of Thieves on Ebay....LOOK OUT

I sold an item for $40 on Ebay. I mailed it to the buyer with a tracking number so I know the buyer received it. Buyer filed a complaint with paypal claims the item he received was a book not the item he paid for.

Paypal dispute rules requires the buyer send the item back with a tracking number to get a full refund. I received a package with a book inside, NOT THE @#$% ITEM I MAILED TO HIM.

Paypal is happy that I received the package back so the buyer got a full refund.

If you do a web search for scams on ebay and paypal this is one of the new scams. Paypal only cares about the buyer so thieves have learned to file a complaint and they will get to keep the item they bought and get a full refund too.

LOOK OUT

Weren't you the guy on PM bragging about how you contact the backup bidders and sell them another of the same item so you can cheat ebay out of their fees for sale of those items?

What's that thing called? I think it's called "karma"

I've done about 300 transactions on ebay and only had a problem once.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF
      Weren't you the guy on PM bragging about how you contact the backup bidders and sell them another of the same item so you can cheat ebay out of their fees for sale of those items?

What's that thing called? I think it's called "karma"

I've done about 300 transactions on ebay and only had a problem once.

Steve.
      Ebay will not allow you to contact buyers and sell off ebay. Ebay has an option called, second chance offer to sell the item without relisting the auction incase the buyer does not pay. I don't sell much on ebay I listed a few items 2 weeks ago to clean out my shop I need the floor space more than the junk. That is the first time I have sold anything on ebay in 2 years. From now on I will use craigslist people can come to my house and check out what I am selling and pay cash.

Comment

They have been pulling the "switch" scam for years. A friend of mine sells chainsaws parts - and has seen all types of bs.

A UV ink pen, and a record, nails most of the scammers. A picture of the item in the box suffices. Even if Paypal issues a refund, you can challenge that and get it reversed. If you used USPS, returning an item that is not the one sent is "mail fraud".

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
          A UV ink pen, and a record, nails most of the scammers.
          Took me a couple of seconds to realize what you meant Andy -- that's clever.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

What was the name of the book that the buyer returned?
            John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

The scammers are getting pretty aggressive again, we were selling one of our items shipped without a tracking number. This has gone on for at least 2 years with out any great problems. Shipping it would only cost the buyer $1.50 since it did not have tracking. And if we did lose one every month it was not a big deal, NOW we have lost several within a 2 week period, sadly we had to raise the shipping cost on eBay to include delivery confirmation. We have none of that B.S. when customers purchase from our website or direct JUST EBAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                we had to raise the shipping cost on eBay to include delivery confirmation. We have none of that B.S. when customers purchase from our website or direct JUST EBAY!!!
                FYI: US Postal Service tracking numbers don't mean a whole lot. I've had several items that the postal service marked "signed for by recipient", and I hadn't received it. Every time I've posted that here or on PM, sellers don't believe me, until a bunch of other members post similar experiences.

In each case, the problem was the postal worker was too freaking lazy to deliver the damn package (it's almost always something that's heavy, like metal cut-offs).

In one case I bought $100 worth of camcorder batteries from a Yahoo seller. US Priority Mail tracking info indicated "Signed by recipient". I hadn't received it Called the local post office, and they swore the postman had delivered it.

They call back 2 days later: "Oh, hey Mr. George, we found your package!"

"Uh, so why does the tracking information indicate I signed for it?" Click.
                Last edited by lazlo; 09-07-2010, 09:43 PM.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I'm not sure what the proper course of action should be. I don't think that any action taken by Paypal/eBay will satisfy everyone all the time.

I'm an honest person. If I were a buyer, I'd like the new rules that say that the transaction is guaranteed if the buyer returns the purchased part.

I'd assume that you could fight the bogus return if you could show that you sent a package that was 1.5 pounds and they returned a 1.0 pound book.

There's not a lot you can do to spot bad buyers. I can tell you that Paypal/eBay have stepped up the requirements for registering just to get rid of bad buyers. I'm not sure how many times they can pull that scam before they get discovered and prosecuted. Probably not many.

Just like when selling in craigslist or the newspaper, your ultimate recourse is always the courts.

What exactly would you want to happen if you were the seller and got screwed like that? What should happen if you were the buyer and got screwed?

Dan

P.S. I'm required to say... I do not represent ebay. They do not know nor approve of what I say. They pay for my toys.
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Do ya think the guys/gals at the post office will alter their behavior because of that dramatic hangup?

Originally posted by lazlo
                    FYI: US Postal Service tracking numbers don't mean a whole lot. I've had several items that the postal service marked "signed for by recipient", and I hadn't received it. Every time I've posted that here or on PM, sellers don't believe me, until a bunch of other members post similar experiences.

In each case, the problem was the postal worker was too freaking lazy to deliver the damn package (it's almost always something that's heavy, like metal cut-offs).

In one case I bought $100 worth of camcorder batteries from a Yahoo seller. US Priority Mail tracking info indicated "Signed by recipient". I hadn't received it Called the local post office, and they swore the postman had delivered it.

John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Originally posted by Deja Vu
                      Do ya think the guys/gals at the post office will alter their behavior because of that dramatic hangup?
                      They (the post office) hung up on ME!

My point being, don't place much trust in US Postal Service tracking information. I've never ever had a similar problem with UPS or FedEx -- those tracking numbers actually mean something!
                      Last edited by lazlo; 09-07-2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Thats why I always involve the United States Postal Service in any way I can. Using the US Mail for purposes of fraud is a federal offence. I've filed fraud charges once on an eBay purchase and got satisfaction. Either insist on US Postal money orders or use US Mail to move the product.
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Lucky me

Everything that is delivered to me is either by my having to sign for it at the post office or having to sign the receipt if a courier delivers it.

For items at the Post Office, I get a note/card in my mail box and I have to collect it personally.

If I am not home when the courier/s call, they leave a note/card at the front door or in the mail-box at the front gate and I have to ring them to arrange another delivery by them or for me to go to the courier depot (with my card and drivers licence) and sign for it an pick it up.

I have never lost an item in the mail.

I have never had a badly packed item in the mail either.

Perhaps I am just lucky.

I only buy occasionally on eBay - as I never "sell" - and I've never had a problem.

Perhaps I am lucky there too.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                            They have been pulling the "switch" scam for years. A friend of mine sells chainsaws parts - and has seen all types of bs.

A UV ink pen, and a record, nails most of the scammers. A picture of the item in the box suffices. Even if Paypal issues a refund, you can challenge that and get it reversed. If you used USPS, returning an item that is not the one sent is "mail fraud".

Ok, I dont get the UV ink pen part.....I am for sure slow tonight based on some other problems I am having.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo

My neighbor has had exactly the same issue with USPS. Nothing wrong with the system, just the POS government employee is too lazy to walk to the second floor and actually deliver the package. Calls to the post office were fruitless, "It was delivered to your address." My neighbor ending up walking around the office building where he works and found the package in another companies mail drop on the 1st floor. I'll take UPS or FedEx and day.
                              Dan from Raleigh, NC

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
                              "What is your host's purpose for the party? Surely not for you to enjoy yourself; if that were their sole purpose, they'd have sent champagne and women over to your place by taxi." P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Working...
                              X