What is... "CNC Jig Mill"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is... "CNC Jig Mill"

I barter. Sometimes I find something nifty I have no use for, so I grab it and trade it to someone else... who needs that thing and in return they give me something interesting.

Recently I traded a huge cast-iron machine base that I salvage-in-place'd. I was given my pick of several interesting Hardinge AHC "automatic lathe" machines that are accumulating dust. These are cam-and-limit-switch driven machines for production. Not quite screw machines not quite production turrets.

He also said he had a CNC Jig Mill, 1980s vintage. That was in the warehouse. He was willing to power it up if I was interested.

Ok so what exactly is a jig mill and how does that differ than the vertical mills I use?
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

When I ran one at Columbus McKinnon Corp we called it a horizontal boring mill.

Comment

As I recall (not that my memory is great) a jig mill was the same as a jig borer. A jig borer was very accurate in positioning but did not have the bearings to mill. ie - It would not take the side load demanded by an end-milling operation, the design intent was for boring holes only. With that, it was a bit cheaper to build and sell.

Might be wrong, but that is what my beer soaked memory can give up.

The big question is, are you going to take it?

rock~
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Don't know if I have a use for it. The AHC I can put to use right away.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Working...
        X