Grinder motor RIP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder motor RIP?

Was using my grinder tonight. RPMs suddenly slowed by about 15%. I smelled something. And the grinder got hot.

It's this style but 6" with no frills at all.

Is there anything to do except pitch it? It's hard to believe I can replace the motor, even if I could find one to fit it, for much less than the cost of a new grinder.

Should be a split phase capacitor run motor,in which case it may just be the cap.Look for obvious damage to the cap,split melted case etc.

If it is the cap,get a run cap of the same rating and install it outside the case if you have to.AC supply houses,motor shops and Grainger all sell run caps.
    Last edited by wierdscience; 09-10-2010, 01:04 AM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Motor

You have a candidate for a good exercise. Rewind the motor. Document the slot/coil group layout and strip out the old winding, carefully count the turns, and install the new coils. That should be a two pole machine (3600 rpm) and an easy wind.

JRW

Comment

The wire will cost more than a new grinder. It is also a lot of time to spend especially if you haven't rewound a motor before. Rewinding is very handy if you need to change the operating chanracteristics for some reason but it isn't worth doing on something cheap like that machine.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
        X